A.S. update: Smart classroom fees, end-of-year achievements

On April 20, 2016, A.S. members started wrapping up the school year with a University Council meeting and the last Campus Life Council Commission Meeting of the semester.

University Council Meeting

Council members decided to add a resolve to the smart class fee for student organizations.

Previously, the cost for a student organization to use a smart classroom was $225 per use.

President Hirshman approved the recommendation by Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, Dr. Chukuka S. Enwemeka, to lower the cost to $25 effective immediately. Hirshman also approved the recommendation to have a more appropriate fee be determined and implemented beginning summer 2016.

The resolve means that A.S. will collaborate with SDSU to determine an appropriate fee for the smart classrooms.

“This is a great illustration of the university believing and trusting the student voice,” A.S. President Blaire Ward said. “I don’t know if free usage of the smart classrooms is possible because they have to be paid for somehow, but this will be worked on and we will find a solution together.”

Campus Life Council Commission Meeting

A.S. Executive Director Christina Brown congratulated the committees for their achievements during the 2015 – 2016 school year.

“I think it is amazing what you were able to accomplish,” Brown said

Recreation and Wellness Commission

Recreation and Wellness Commission Chair Chris Thomas said in March the ARC, ARC Express, and Aztec Aquaplex reached the second highest level of activity ever seen with a total of 72,430.

Spring Events

Thomas said Take Back the Week will occur April 25-29. It will consist of a series of events all aimed at sexual violence awareness.

Community Service Commission Chair Jenna Beuck said the “Do Good feel good” community service fair will occur on April 26 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Centennial Walkway.

2015-2016 Homecoming Royalty Andrea Byrd and Brian Levett are hosting the “Aztec Random Act of Kindness Race” on April 29 from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Goldberg Courtyard. The goal of the race is to uplift the SDSU community by participating in random acts of kindness. Students must complete the Aztec R.A.K. Race Registration Form by April 27 in order to participate. Participants will receive a free shirt, food, and prizes.

Byrd said she and Levett organized the event because they want to recognize SDSU students, faculty, and staff and give back to the SDSU community.

“I’m really excited about having students from all different walks of life come together to give back to other students on campus, Byrd said. “This event was designed to not only give back, but to bridge communities as well.”

Thomas said an “Out of the Darkness Walk” will take place on April 30 to raise suicide awareness and prevention. People can participate in an actual walk, virtual walk, or by monetary donation. The beneficiary for the event will be American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

Live Well Late Night will be on April 28 from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. at the ARC, said Thomas. He said there will be free Shake Smart smoothies and gear, and a chance to win a Fitbit. There will be various classes throughout the ARC and backlights in the Spinning Studio.
A.S. Executive Vice President Leo Carrillo said “Midnight Study Break” will be on May 5 in Montezuma Hall.

Jasmine Bermudez
Jasmine Bermudez, Assistant News Editor
Jasmine Bermudez is the assistant news editor at The Daily Aztec. She is a fourth year journalism major and political science minor at San Diego State.