Alpha Kappa Psi furthers its campus influence

Courtesy of Alpha Kappa Psi

San Diego State co-ed professional business fraternity Alpha Kappa Psi, established at SDSU in 1986, has big plans to further establish itself on campus.

“We are currently in the process of planning our fifth annual TEDxSDSU,” senior and vice president of public relations Marissa Walsh said. “This is one example of how Alpha Kappa Psi benefits SDSU because it gives students the opportunity to listen to some life-changing talks from very influential and successful people.”

Along with this event, the organization also has plans for others outside of SDSU.

Members make regular visits to Crawford High School to talk to students about the process of attending college and what to expect.

“It’s eye-opening, actually,” senior and media relations chair Ashley Ng said. “Not a lot of people are thinking about college and we go there informing them on how to look up colleges.”

Ng, who is also an international student from Malaysia, said she was also able to “find her family” at SDSU in Alpha Kappa Psi.

Along with high schools, Alpha Kappa Psi also works with an organization called Traveling Stories to provide books for underprivileged children and promote literacy.

The organization also gives back to an orphanage in Tijuana called Eunime, which provides shelter for children who have been affected by HIV/AIDS.

Alpha Kappa Psi helps with raising money and spending time with the kids, as well as working on projects the orphanage needs help with.

In the past, Alpha Kappa Psi has partnered with the Make-a-Wish Foundation, One Wish at a Time charity golf tournament, Habitat for Humanity, and many other organizations.

While Alpha Kappa Psi is involved in on- and off-campus community events, it is also involved in its members’ futures.

By helping members establish business ideas and build resumes, the organization instills valuable lessons that will help its members in their future endeavors.

The business fraternity also provides networking opportunities through its alumni chapter.

Recently, the chapter brought Costco co-founder and former CEO Jim Sinegal to talk.

The group’s goals include preparing members for the business world, as well as helping them to form lifelong friendships. Walsh encourages other students to join the organization based on it success in achieving these goals.

“Go for it,” she said. “It’s the best of both worlds.”