Aztecs fall short despite good offense

It has become a familiar script for the San Diego State baseball team in the last three games: Have a lead, but watch it disappear after a rally by the opponent.

That was the case once again Tuesday afternoon as CSU Northridge used a six-run rally in the bottom of the seventh to pick up a 12-9 win against SDSU at Matador Field.

“It was an unacceptable loss,” junior outfielder Brandon Meredith said. “We can’t continue to lose games that we should be winning. But our bats came to play today and that’s a positive sign.”

The Aztecs had one of their best offensive performances against the Matadors. SDSU hadn’t hit a home run since opening day, but smacked three on Tuesday. Freshman catcher Brad Haynal hit a two-run bomb in the second inning, freshman outfielder Dillon Bryant led off the third with a shot down the right field line and then junior utility player Chris Wilson gave SDSU an 8-4 lead with a solo homer in the top of the seventh.

SDSU also received an outstanding performance from Cole Swanson. In five innings of work, the freshman pitcher allowed just one run on five hits and struck out eight.

“I thought I threw well,” Swanson said. “I was just trying to do my job and keep us in the game.”

Swanson was pulled before the seventh inning when the Aztecs were unable to hold on to the lead after giving up six runs in the bottom of seventh.

SDSU will now prepare for a four-game series against No. 15 Arkansas. The Aztecs will play the first contest at 6 p.m. tonight at Tony Gwynn Stadium.

How to avoid appearing creepy to girls

Aztecs fall short despite good offense