BASEBALL: Crabb keeps turning heads

Ryan O’Sullivan’s total pitch count for the year will remain at 12.

San Diego State baseball’s number two starting pitcher will probably not see the mound again for the rest of the season.

“As of now, he’s been checked out by three doctors and the consensus is that he’s going to rehab first and see how it is,” head coach Tony Gwynn said. “For me personally, I doubt very seriously if he’s going to pitch the rest of the season. If you do see him, it’ll be at shortstop and he’ll be our offensive guy, but I’m not going to take a chance until I see proof that he’s better.”

In that case, Feb. 20 will remain O’Sullivan’s first and only pitching appearance for SDSU this season. He started the game and faced only three batters for Oklahoma before he grabbed his arm in pain and was escorted off the mound by the athletic trainer and Gwynn by his side.

“I feel for the kid because he worked really hard this fall and spring to put himself in a good position, and he threw the ball and got hurt,” Gwynn said Saturday evening. “He’s an antsy kid. He can’t just sit still and watch, but he’s gonna miss at least five or six weeks before he gets a chance to get out there and compete again.”

During O’Sullivan’s short-lived appearance, he gave up one single, one ground out, and one strike out swinging for the Aztecs before his exit.

Despite the bullpen’s loss of O’Sullivan, Gwynn is hopeful about the performance of the rest of the squad.

“Our pitchers are doing outstanding,” Gwynn said. “Our starters have done a good job to put us in the position where our bullpen doesn’t have to work very long to get a job done.”

Friday night, freshman right-handed pitcher Bryan Crabb continued to impress in his third SDSU start. He gave up only one hit during his seven-inning performance, helping the Aztecs shut out Monmouth University 7-0 at Tony Gwynn Stadium.

Crabb threw seven strikeouts and gave up three walks to Monmouth, taking his total to eight walks during the three games he’s pitched for SDSU.

“All through his starts, he’s pitched well enough to win,” Gwynn said. “As a freshman his head doesn’t get too high or too low. He keeps his composure and keeps competing, and that’s what you have to do.”

Offensively the Aztecs lucked out. The Muhawks’ pitching staff practically handed the team its first few runs. Four batters were hit by pitches and SDSU was given 12 walks during the contest, including the first two runs being walked in back-to-back in the fifth.

RBIs came later in the seventh for freshman infielder Blair Moore, and senior second baseman Mitch Blackburn. The offensive standout during Friday’s game was junior catcher Matt Parker who went 1-3, bringing in two RBIs and scoring twice himself.

The Aztecs’ second match-up against Monmouth was set for Saturday evening and then postponed to Sunday because of rain.

SDSU currently stands with five wins and six losses, and will play five games this upcoming week, including the SDSU Invitational at Tony Gwynn Stadium.

BASEBALL: Crabb keeps turning heads