Campus hosts ‘Coming Out’ week

NEWS_pridecenter3_jennamackeyOct. 11 will mark the 26th annual National Coming Out Day. For San Diego State students, faculty and staff, school-wide events are in place to raise awareness in the community about the national celebration.

“Because this day is on a Saturday, SDSU has decided to create a week-long celebration that anyone can take part in,” The Pride Center Assistant Lou Tabalon said. “This is a milestone for many students who had difficulty coming out and a possible first step for those who want to come out.”

Campus events are scheduled for the first full week of October with sponsorship from SafeZones@SDSU, SDSU’s The Pride Center, Queer Student Union and other student-run clubs and organizations that specialize in lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer awareness and advocacy.

One of the events from the week includes the Coming Out Discussion Panel that will consist of LBTQ students and community members discussing their experiences coming out and the impact it has had on their personal relationships.

“Its purpose is to raise awareness and share life experiences that can benefit other people who are in the process of coming out,” Co-Chair of SafeZones@SDSU Susan Cayleff said. “It also helps demonstrate to LGBTQ allies effective and supportive ways to respond to someone who is coming out.”

The pannel, hosted by SafeZones@SDSU, will be from 12 to 2 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 9 at Scripps Cottage on the west end of campus.

Untitled-1A list of events can be found on the calendar sidebox. The Pride Center may add other events during the week on its Facebook’s page.

“To create a truly inclusive campus community we must ensure we focus on all dimensions of identity,” The Pride Center Coordinator Anthony Keen said. “Sexual orientation and gender identity are critical components of all of us and there are a variety of campus organizations, departments and services strive to create a community where students can thrive.”

The Pride Center began serving SDSU students in the spring of 2014.

In August 2014, SDSU was ranked on of the top 50 most LGBT-friendly universities by the Campus Pride organization.

“Students need to be supportive to their peers every day, not just during National Coming Out Day events,” Cayleff said. “Come to the panel and join the LGBTQ movement for social justice.”

Campus hosts ‘Coming Out’ week