Ebert offers cinematic insight

Up until last November I planned on majoring in journalism at San Diego State. However, a chance encounter my uncle had with Pulitzer Prize winner Roger Ebert led to my becoming email pen pals with the esteemed critic. Ebert questioned if my passion was for journalism or if it was for film and theater. He made me realize that if I couldn’t get a job as a critic then I would want to be involved in the “industry,” not writing news articles for a paper. The next day, I immediately walked to the offices of Television, Film and New Media Production and applied for my new major, a decision that I have never regretted.

Even though Ebert is a gifted writer, he was a terrible math student and failed his college French courses numerous times, issues I identify with having. (Read “Life Itself,” his fascinating memoir published in 2011.) Yet he, like me, has an amazing memory for what he sees on the screen and is able to write about it without taking notes. I asked Ebert how he is able to write such detailed reviews. He replied, “I don’t have a great memory. I seem to remember what I need to.”

Ebert advised aspiring film critics and those who wants to work in Hollywood to not, “plan on making a living for a while. Get onboard somehow and network. Always have a project underway.”

Ebert does not enjoy writing lists of his favorite films, though he did cite “Citizen Kane,” “Do the Right Thing” and the films of the Italian neorealists as having a major impact on his life.

Complications from treatments for thyroid cancer in 2006 have left Ebert unable to speak, drink or eat. However, he continues to view and critique films for the Chicago Sun-Times both online and in print. His memoir has been optioned for the big screen by Steve James and Steven Zaillian, with Martin Scorsese as executive producer.

Ebert’s career proves you can be successful despite having uncontrollable speed bumps. While I have no aspirations of winning a Pulitzer, Ebert’s life is an inspiration to me.

Information about Ebert can be found at rogerebert.suntimes.com.

Ebert offers cinematic insight