Female a cappella group hits high note

Megan Wood

Sirens of State is an all-female a cappella group that enjoys transforming their vocals into aca-mazing instruments in order to cover upbeat pop music every week between classes.

“You get an oasis to step away for a couple hours on Wednesdays and Thursdays and just sing, and then you have that great aspect of performing,” psychology sophomore and Sirens of State Vice President Madison Fray said.

The group’s auditions wrapped up Thursday, Sept. 17. The required auditioned song was Keri Hilson’s “Pretty Girl Rock.”

In addition to auditioning their vocals, the girls had to learn a short dance routine.

Fray said it can be challenging to become one sound and create group dynamics that range from very loud to very soft.

She went on to say the group tries to get the girls to learn fast in auditions.

“You are an instrument and you are singing like ‘doom doom doom doom’ and making guitar sounds, or just harmonizing with the soloist,” she said.

Marketing senior and Sirens of State President Cassie Paric said the group likes to pick fun and upbeat music to perform.

Some of their most recent song covers have been “Demons” by Imagine Dragons and “Nobody Love” by Tori Kelly.

Prior musical training is not required to become a member, however the group does actively work on helping to train the girls properly in order to protect their vocals.

“It can really affect you if you’re not singing correctly — not on the breath, not controlled and not focused on what note you’re on,” Fray said.

Fray has been musically training since the age of 5, as she grew up in a musical family.

Before Sirens of State, she was involved in musical theater and performed with theater company Good Company Players in her hometown of Fresno, California.

Fray’s vocal coach, Judith Dickenson, also coaches actress and singer Audra McDonald.

McDonald is most well known for her stage performances in “Ragtime” and “A Raisin in the Sun.”

Sirens of State has performed at the Leadership Summit on campus and the San Diego YMCA’s Live Well Project.

Some of their upcoming campus sets include a performance on Tuesday, Sept. 29 for SDSU’s Young Life club, Shockapella on Friday, Oct. 23 and the Jingle Bell Rockapella on Thursday, Dec. 3.

The members of Sirens of State aren’t the only students on campus throwing down their vocal talent — Sound Wave and all-male group Preposterone also share in the a cappella fun.

“It’s an a cappella family,” Paric said. “We do beatbox completions on stage with the boys and other a cappella groups. It’s just really fun. Playing music together is a bonding experience.”

Sirens of State offers any female student the opportunity to express her creativity, develop her craft in music and be a part of a versatile musical community.

“We really have a lot in common and we can always come to each other,” Fray said. “(We) enjoy each other’s company and have that security of knowing that we’re all really close girlfriends.”

Liliana Cervantes, Staff Writer
Liliana Cervantes is a media studies major with a minor in marketing. She has written for The Daily Aztec since spring 2016 and currently is a staff writer for the Arts and Lifestyle section.
Megan Wood, Photo Editor
Megan is pursuing a bachelor’s degree in journalism at SDSU. She is currently the photo editor at The Daily Aztec and has experience photographing a range of subjects from sports to breaking news as well as editing photos for web and print. In summer, she joined inewsource as a multimedia intern where she works alongside investigative reporters to produce multimedia stories, interpret data and manage social media. She hopes to pursue a career in photojournalism after graduation in May.
Female a cappella group hits high note