Fifteen walks doom Aztecs in 11-7 loss

SDSU used eight pitchers who combined to walk 15 Oral Roberts batters in Sunday afternoon’s four-run loss, Jeff Lewis / Staff Photographer

After the final pitch was thrown, one statistic stood out in San Diego State’s Sunday afternoon game against Oral Roberts.

It wasn’t the eight pitchers the SDSU baseball team used, it wasn’t the 11 runs Oral Roberts scored or the two errors it committed against SDSU.

The Aztecs hurt themselves by walking 15 batters en route to an 11-7 loss to the Golden Eagles at Tony Gwynn Stadium.

“(It) was really frustrating,” head coach Tony Gwynn said. “You’re not going to win games walking 15 guys. We walked way too many guys today.”

The day got off to a bumpy start for SDSU, as starting pitcher Bryan Crabb was roughed up in his first start since March 13. The sophomore lasted just one inning, giving up a pair of runs on two walks and a two-out, two-run double.

“Crabb got flustered early and from that point on, we just marched them out there and everybody who came in walked at least one guy,” Gwynn said.

The Aztec offense didn’t help much, scoring just one run on six hits after their six-run first inning.

Next up for SDSU is a non-conference matchup with Long Beach State at 6:30 p.m. tonight at Blair Field.

“You turn the page and look forward to Tuesday,” Gwynn said. “You feel fortunate that you didn’t get swept because (Saturday’s) game, we basically stole that one late. Oral Roberts played us really tough and we were able to salvage one game.”

Fifteen walks doom Aztecs in 11-7 loss