Health services encourages vaccinations as a result of mumps on campus

El+Centro+de+Salud+Calpulli+esta+disponible+para+la+comunidad+de+SDSU.+
Cristian Rangel
El Centro de Salud Calpulli esta disponible para la comunidad de SDSU.

The contagious virus of mumps was found among San Diego State students living off campus, as reported by  Student Health Services.

Student Health Services at SDSU are recommending students to receive the Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) vaccine on campus at the Calpulli Center to prevent spreading of the virus.

The center held immunization clinics on Oct. 27 and Oct. 28 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to give immunization shots to students on a first come first serve basis.

“The reason we have notified the campus community is to reduce the number of infections in people who may lack immunity to the mumps virus,”, director of Student Health Services  Gregg Lichtenstien said.

While most students are vaccinated for measles, mumps and rubella  during childhood and never get the virus, mumps is exposed through sharing drinks or coughs and sneezes.

Lichtenstien said the symptoms of mumps include swelling or tenderness in the parotid gland area (the area near the cheeks and teeth), experiencing body aches, loss of appetite, fatigue or headaches.

“If this occurs, you should stay home to avoid exposing others,” Litchtenstien said.

Jaliza Ramirez, a public health senior, said she is not concerned about the virus because she is aware of it and  received  all her vaccines.

“I saw some symptoms were headaches and fevers so it can easily be misinterpreted for something like the flu,” Ramirez said.

Student Health Services encourages students to seek medical consultation if they are experiencing any symptoms of mumps.

Lichtenstien said because students are spending a lot of time in close contact with each other at SDSU and it increases the risk of contracting and spreading mumps if they are under-immunized.   

“It wasn’t until someone showed me a picture of it that I became concerned about the virus,” geography senior Eduardo Cordova said.

Cordova said he has the MMR immunization, but is still looking to get vaccinated again to be sure he is healthy because there may be a risk for everyone on campus.

“I recommend that all students get vaccinated if not already,” Ramirez said.

The mumps virus has an incubation period of about sixteen to eighteen days and then symptoms, such as swelling of the salivary glands, start appearing.

Lichtenstien said in recent outbreaks, there have been no deaths from mumps or any cases reported in the U.S., but complications are more frequent in adults than in children.

Cristian Rangel
Cristian Rangel, Photo Editor
Cristian is spanish major at SDSU, with a minor in Biology. He began working for The Daily Aztec in Fall 2015 and is currently the photo editor for the Spring 2016 semester.  He loves shooting concerts, sports, and anything photography related.