How to interact and behave with the police

Chelsea Massey / Staff

By Sydnee Brooker, Staff Writer

A regular Thursday or Friday night for students of legal drinking age often goes something like this: The girls apply their M.A.C. makeup while the guys go for a beer run. Then everyone congregates around a kitchen counter to take shots and games of beer pong begin. During these hours of inebriation is when trouble starts — the sound of a stereo replaced by pounding on the door and some deep, official voice announcing, “Open up! This is the San Diego Police.”

Many have been in this position, either as a buzzed bystander looking for an escape or a tenant who must instantly pretend to be sober to avoid a $1,000 fine. For the tenant fearing disciplinary action, this moment is crucial. As soon as the front door opens, the night and maybe even the next few months could be finished.

Joseph Yang graduated from University of California San Diego this with a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering and has some words of wisdom for those who find themselves in this predicament.

A few years ago, he attended the most grandiose bash of his college life. There were 1,000 people crammed into his friend’s 4,000 square foot home when several patrol cars and drunk tank escort vans surrounded the house. He witnessed nearly 100 students handcuffed. At 20 years old, he quickly realized he was in a dangerously precipitous situation.

Yang and some others were taken aside and questioned.

“Amongst my group of detainees were two others,” Yang said. “One of the guys … angered the cops and couldn’t have done a worse job. The second guy was quiet and shy. He was brought in for questioning later. Lastly (there was) me, friendly and open, striking up conversations with the cops while they waited … My approach was natural. I respect cops and understand they have a noble job, even though many of them aren’t so noble.”

Eventually Yang was let go.

“I had been serving alcohol, underage, to other underage kids in a well-over-the-fire- limit house, and they let me go with no charges,” Yang said. “There’s no guarantee you’ll get let off, but I feel approaching a cop situation in any time or place has the same guidelines: respect the officer, appear nonthreatening and friendly, be calm and show you’re a responsible citizen. Also knowing your rights, like the right not to be searched, is crucial.”

Media studies senior Shannon Smith has a similar story and advice. She and her roommates often had large and loud parties at their house on 54th Street. One night, a fight broke out, and Smith handled the situation and called the police.

“They came in to fix the problem,” Smith said. “They were not trying to disturb the peace; they were just doing their job. They made sure everyone left and the house was cleared out. I feel like if you just give them respect and act calm the situation will be easier.”

Michael Bruce, an SDSU alumni has been a police officer for nearly a year and shared his thoughts during a ride-along. He said most cops hate responding to noise complaints because they are just a waste of time. He said he and most of his colleagues understand kids just want to have a good time, but there are a few rules. First, never be rude to a cop. How they handle each situation is based on attitude 99.9 percent of the time.

“If residents are being cool, then we’re gone, but if just one person (has) an attitude or is acting too drunk then we treat the situation as if everyone is acting like that,” Bruce said.

“Also, if you have a cranky neighbor that is threatening to call us when there really is no reason, call us first,” he said. “Let us know the situation. We also have this great thing called discretion. If we have to go back to a house for a second time and we see there are 15 people, we’ll let you off the hook, that is if you’re acting respectful.”