Man arrested for two College Area sexual battery incidents

One man is suspected of sexually battering four San Diego State students early Tuesday morning.

The batteries, which occurred in two separate incidents, were reported within 45 minutes of each other, according to SDSU Police.

In the first incident, a female student and her friend told university police around 12:30 a.m., they were groped in the area of Aztec Corner Apartments.

Then, at about 1:15 a.m., another two students reported to police they were groped on the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union pedestrian bridge by a man matching the same description as the suspect in the first battery.

According to SDSUPD Lt. Matt Conlon, a police officer searching for the suspect found a man matching his description, who was then identified as the suspect by one of the victims.

Conlon said he was unsure whether the suspect knew any of the four victims.

The man, identified as non-student Minda Shewangizaw, was arrested by university police and taken to county jail on suspicion of sexual battery, touching a person intimately and annoying a minor.

Will Fritz, Editor in Chief
Will Fritz is the editor in chief of The Daily Aztec for the 2018-19 academic year. A fourth-year journalism major, he's a weekend breaking news reporter for City News Service, an editorial intern at Voice of San Diego and president of SDSU's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Follow him on Twitter at @fritzed_, and contact him directly at (619) 594-4190 or editor@thedailyaztec.com.