SDSU places Kappa Alpha fraternity on interim suspension

Sofia Bert
SDSU’s Interfraternity Council unanimously voted on Oct. 4 to to end a months-long social moratorium and impose a ban on hard alcohol.

Update: Oct. 20, 5:15 p.m.

The Kappa Alpha national chapter issued a statement regarding the Oct. 17 incident.

“We are looking into this and will be glad to report back when there are more facts known,” the statement said.

Update: Oct. 20, 4:15 p.m.

According to reporting by 10News and NBC 7, Kappa Alpha was the fraternity involved in an Oct. 17 incident where a freshman student had to receive medical treatment. According to a statement from the university, the fraternity has been placed on interim suspension as a result of the incident.

In a conversation with 10News, the mother of the victim said her son suffered a concussion, a fractured wrist, a sprained ankle and numerous bruises on his back from an event at the Kappa Alpha fraternity house.

She said her son, who had “blacked out” from drinking, made it safely back to his dorm but was later instructed to seek medical care after a nurse administering meningitis vaccines noticed his injuries.

Original Story:

San Diego State placed one of the campus fraternities on interim suspension as of Oct. 19, according to a statement issued by the university late Friday night.

According to the statement, which was issued around 9:30 p.m., SDSU is investigating an incident in which an individual required medical assistance after being at a fraternity house near campus.

The fraternity was not named in the statement, and university officials wouldn’t disclose the name when reached by email.

Officials also wouldn’t say when the incident occurred.

“The health and wellbeing of all members of the campus community is of utmost importance to San Diego State University,” the release said.

The university has reached out to the person involved and their family to offer support and resources, the statement said.

The announcement comes just weeks after SDSU’s Interfraternity Council voted on Oct. 4 to end a “social moratorium,” essentially a ban on parties, that had been in place since the spring. The Council voted at the same meeting to impose a prohibition on hard liquor at fraternity-sponsored events.

Editor in Chief Will Fritz and News Editor Bella Ross contributed to reporting for this story.

Jocelyn Moran
Jocelyn Moran, Managing Editor
Jocelyn Moran is the managing editor at The Daily Aztec and a senior journalism and Spanish student. She has been writing for The Daily Aztec since Fall 2015 and has covered protests, sports, club events and breaking news. Jocelyn aims to represent her community by telling people's stories in an effort to demonstrate different perspectives to readers. Send tips to me@thedailyaztec.com and follow her at @jocelynamoran.
Sofia Bert, Senior Staff Writer
Sofia Bert is a journalism sophomore with an emphasis in public relations and a minor in international studies. She is from Folsom, Calif. and is a senior staff writer for the Daily Aztec. Her dream job would be working at a health and beauty public relations firm and managing a blog or column on the side.