Senior Farewell: Reese Savoie

Photo courtesy of Reese Savoie

When I first joined the Daily Aztec, I had no idea the impact that it would have not only upon my college career, but on my life as a whole. 

Pursuing a career in sports journalism was something that I’d always been interested in. I knew without a doubt that I wanted to spend the rest of my life on the sideline of a Major League Baseball stadium, covering athletes and sharing their stories during some of the most impactful moments of their lives. 

The Daily Aztec provided me with this opportunity. 

It gave me the chance to hone in on the skills I’d learned about in the classroom, and put them to use in a real-life situation. 

It gave me the chance to connect with both the student athletes and our campus in unique, meaningful ways. 

It gave me the chance to travel across not only San Diego, but across the country for conferences and tournaments with a group of people who’ve become some of my best friends over the last two years. 

It gave me the chance to create a platform where I can put out content that I am incredibly passionate about, and share it with a community who is equally as passionate. 

It gave me the chance to do what I love every single day, and for that I am forever grateful. 

I entered the DA terrified. I was intimidated by the thought of working for a publication with people who were so experienced and talented, people who knew what they were doing when I felt so strongly that I did not. 

I remember the first meeting so vividly. I sat at the big round table in the conference room and thought about all of the reasons why I didn’t belong there. I was underqualified, I’d never written for a newspaper before, I was embarrassed because even though it was my career aspiration, I didn’t know the first thing about covering sports. 

I went home after that first meeting and wasn’t sure if I’d go to another. 

Spoiler alert: I did. Best decision of my life. 

Cheers to you, Daily Aztec. 

Cheers to the memories. Cheers to some of the best people and friends that I’ve been so lucky to have met. Cheers to the late nights cranking out recaps and packages. Cheers to the pre-interview jitters and the post-game pressers. Cheers to Aztecs Got Game, Dunkin’ Donuts, the tripod and the Fresno State bus drivers (@Jenna). Cheers to the laughs and cheers to the tears. 

Thank you for everything, Daily Aztec. 

I’ll never forget you.

Reese Savoie
Reese is a third-year media studies student at SDSU. She is from San Diego, CA and has a passion for sports and storytelling. This is her first year writing and reporting for The Daily Aztec, and she is excited to continuously build her knowledge of both sports and journalism. Reese is also a member of Sports Business Initiative, and is Senior Editor of Her Campus SDSU. She is a fan of the San Diego Padres, San Diego Gulls and Los Angeles Clippers. Reese aspires to one day work alongside athletes as a sidelines reporter covering the MLB or the NBA. Follow her on Twitter @reesesavoie.
Senior Farewell: Reese Savoie