A.S. Vice President of External Relations candidate Robson Winter

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Slate: Our SDSU

Year: 3rd Year

Major: Political Science

Why did you decide to run for this position?

I decided to run for this position because I believe that in this position, I can make an instant impact on our campus from the moment I start the role. I have a lot of experience with the External Relations Board and with the California State Student Association, and believe that this background and advocacy and lobbying will make me very fit for the position and I’ll be able to do a lot with it.

What makes you qualified for this position? What is your history with A.S.?

I have served as the External Relations Board Vice Chair, as well as Lobby Corps Chair which are both big parts of advocacy within Associated Students. I have been the Vice Chair of the “Rock the Vote” campaign for two years, so I’ll be able to work with that team and transition it right into the June primary elections. I’ll make sure that our students are given enough information and time to register for those. I currently sit on the California State Student Association Legislative Affairs Committee. 

What would you like to change at SDSU?

One of my main goals is to implement campus safety initiatives. I want to make sure I am working with our community partners, as well as SDSU’s Director of Community and Government Relations Rachel Greg to reach out to students and hear where they find problems on campus with safety. Also, working to improve those matters. One that jumps to mind is the inadequate lighting on our campus and surrounding it.

Can you name something you like and something you dislike about A.S.?

Something that I really love about Associated Students is that it gives students a platform to have their voices heard. It is a great opportunity for students to get involved with the school. I know that coming in as a freshman, it was a great way for me to meet people and join a community. On the opposite side of that, I also understand that a lot of times Associated Students give off the feeling of being different from the student body. Sometimes it doesn’t feel inviting or welcoming. I want to make sure that our campaign name of “Our SDSU” is something that students can join. I want to make sure I am conveying the vision of Associated Students of giving students a platform to have their voices heard when speaking with outside organizations.

What will be your top three priorities in this role?

First, I want to implement campus safety initiatives. This just means that our students feel safe on our campus; our students have a right to feel safe on this campus. My second goal is to advocate to expand resources for student mental health. To do this, I plan on working with the director of Counseling and Psychological Services to find out where these current gaps are and how to advocate to close them. My final goal is to destigmatize the conversation around social outlets. Students missed a year, if not more of classes, but they also missed clubs, extracurriculars and professional development opportunities. I want to focus on making sure students have a way to not just get back into the classroom, but get back to the community and the San Diego State community we all love. 

Why do you think so many positions are running uncontested this year?

As we are transitioning back into in-person classes and everything in-person, it takes a lot more time and effort. I think it is about fostering the community at San Diego State, and fostering the desire to get involved outside of your classes, and fostering the feeling that this is a community that students want to be a part of and have leadership roles in.

This interview was edited for brevity and clarity.

Eugenie Budnik
Eugenie Budnik, '23-24 News Editor
Eugenie Budnik is a senior studying journalism and advertising. As an ex-military child, Eugenie spent time growing up in Japan, England, Colorado and San Diego. Eugenie joined The Daily Aztec in 2021, when she was originally an elementary education major. Eugenie's time spent reporting on news for The Daily Aztec developed her love and passion for journalism, ultimately leading her to change her major. Since then, Eugenie has written over 40 pieces for The Daily Aztec and is now the news editor. Outside of her work, you can find Eugenie jamming out to Taylor Swift, reading, or scrolling through Tik Tok.