Seeking out some of SDSU’s secret spots

Antonio Zaragoza, Photo Editor
Antonio Zaragoza, Photo Editor

San Diego State spans ever-reaching boundaries. However, it would be safe to assume such a colossal campus is not just filled with classrooms. There is much to behold among the brush. So, instead of rotating through the food courts during those prolonged periods of wasted time between classes, opt to hunt for the hidden hot spots of these sprawling school grounds.

This campus has a multitude of secret hangouts and quirky spots that most students may not be aware of. However, beginning explorers may want to check out the turtle pond — a main campus attraction students gravitate to for a lounge on the hill to enjoy the tranquil scenery.

“You can always catch me laying out by the pond and relaxing after class,” economics senior Matt Evans said.

Scripps Cottage, near the turtle pond, is not just for research — it can also serve as the ideal setting to take your mind off of school-day stresses.

SDSU is home to some magnificent pathways, overflowing with displays of flora and fauna that offer a breath of fresh air to students bustling to and from classes. These many colorful aesthetics include the Mediterranean Garden, located near the Life Science buildings, which cultivates a variety of plants around the world adapted to climates similar to San Diego.

The fern garden hosts a few more eccentric species of plants, providing a great space for creative thought. The engineering plaza also has a plantain grove nested between the buildings where bananas grow.

As more intermediate explorers may already know, there is a green house nestled between Life Science’s North and South buildings. It boasts six rooms, which cultivate orchards including cacao and vanilla plants. Students are welcome to visit between 9 and 11 a.m. on weekdays. Similarly, the SDSU Herbarium is a depository of more than 19,000 pressed and mounted plant specimens used for research and teaching.

Straying away from the scenic spots on campus, there are other hideaways to take advantage of during one of those beautiful sunny San Diego days. At the tip of campus by the Extended Studies Center on the side closest to Calpulli Center, there is a designated area for seating that hosts its own coffee shop. In between the Exercise and Nutritional Sciences, Theatre Arts and Music buildings are some shady spots with exotic plants and seating areas, with a Peabody’s Organic Coffee just around the corner.

Those looking to be in the center of action may want to reroute themselves to the front and back patios of West Commons, which are convenient spots to catch up on homework while recharging with midday snacks.

The courtyards between Little Theatre and Hepner Hall are inspiringly beautiful their with cloister-style walkways and tree-lined benches, perfect for cracking open a new book .

Antonio Zaragoza, Photo Editor
Antonio Zaragoza, Photo Editor

With several Peabody’s on campus, it’s easy to walk past Betty’s Hotdogger located near Student Services. However, it’s known to cook up some mean beef.

The Art building is also one place that is often overlooked, but it deserves a second glance with its large spiral staircases and access to the rooftop where art students display their work for the public to see. Additionally, there is a Blick Art Materials store within the building that may offer some great tools for those looking to work on a project.

“I’ve been here for three years now and had no idea about the building and all of its hidden wonders,” journalism and media studies junior Erin Thompson said. “I definitely want to check it out next time I’m on campus. It sounds like a great place for inspiration and a chance to interact with the productions of the student body.”

Seeking out some of SDSU’s secret spots