Two nights of Thievery (Win Tickets!)

Style-blending trip-hop veteran Thievery Corporation returns to San Diego this week for two nights of shows at The House of Blues. The band is touring this fall in support of its new album, “Culture of Fear,” released in June. Formed in 1995 by Washington D.C. natives Eric Hilton and Rob Garza, the band represents the two founders’ love of different music styles including jazz and chill. Hilton and Garza released their first LP in 1997, titled, “Sounds from the Thievery Hi-Fi.” Since then, the band’s musical career spans multiple studio albums and numerous compilation albums. Thievery Corporation’s notable fourth album, “The Cosmic Game,” included vocals from musicians such as The Flaming Lips’ Wayne Coyne and Jane’s Addiction’s Perry Farrell.

Thievery Corporation not only has a new album this year, but is also on the heels of releasing its first live DVD “Live at the 9:30 Club.” Filmed throughout five consecutive sold-out nights at The 9:30 Club in the group’s hometown in the district, the DVD takes a unique filming approach by using vintage anamorphic lenses, bringing a subtle, innovative brilliance to concert footage.

The new album, “Culture of Fear,” beautifully showcases everything Thievery Corporation has become known for. The opening track, “Web of Deception” begins a 13-track, groovy, intergalactic star trip that weaves its way through jazz, dub and chill-wave musical styles. “Overstand” is a standout track that melds influences of reggae and free-flowing waves of melodic electronica.

The album has a transcendental feel, making it difficult to place in a specific genre. While predominantly featuring electronic melodies, there are elements of hip-hop reggae, bossanova and jazz that speak to a wide variety of music lovers. The incredible range of styles is part of what has made Thievery Corporation a highly respected band for more than 15 years.

Thievery Corporation’s live shows are notable for the whimsical inventiveness involved in bringing along 15 other assorted vocalists and musicians to perform alongside the core group. The band plays a two-night jaunt with AM & Sean Lee at House of Blues for an all-ages audience tonight at 7:30 p.m. and for those 21 and older tomorrow at 8 p.m. Tickets are $50 advance and $55 day of show.

To win a pair of free tickets, take a picture on campus holding a handmade “I love Thievery Corporation” sign and post it to The Daily Aztec’s Facebook page. Tell friends to “like” the photo, and the two pictures with the most “likes” by 3 p.m. today win two free tickets to tonight’s show.

Two nights of Thievery (Win Tickets!)