SDSU ties up Long Beach

The San Diego State Women’s Soccer team ended its 110-minute overtime match with a 1-1 tie against rivals Long Beach State last Sunday.

SDSU (4-2-2) battled from behind late in the game with a clutch goal by freshman forward Hannah Keane, giving the Aztecs a tie against CSULB (4-3-1).

Within seconds of the referee blowing his whistle to begin the game, it was a given that these Southern California rivals were both in it to win it.

Instant tension was felt not only on the soccer field but in the SDSU Sports Deck stands as well. The shouting and taunting from spectators only amplified the play on the field as players pushed and shoved for control of the ball.

“This is one of the games that we always look forward to because it’s always a battle with them. There’s been a rivalry every year and it’s always a close game,” junior midfielder Tiffany Hurst said.

The first half was evenly matched as both teams shared similar stats in shots on goal, saves and corner kicks. Going into halftime, the game was scoreless.

“It was good, even play but I felt we had a lack of urgency in the first half,” head coach Mike Friesen said.

The second half panned out to be much more exciting. Just when SDSU started taking primary possession of the ball, CSULB interrupted with a quick goal two yards out to take the lead. Despite falling behind by a goal, the Aztecs fought back taking nine shots on goal in the second half. With some exceptional saves made by freshman goalkeeper Rachel Boaz that prevented SDSU from falling behind even more, the Aztecs rallied back. In the 69th minute of match play, Keane scored a vital goal 10 yards out to tie the game and force overtime.

With an overtime that consisted of two 10-minute halves, both teams fought with the same amount of intensity they had in regulation. As the clock wound down and the game concluded, the score remained even.

“I’m OK with a tie, but not overjoyed,” Friesen said.

Overall, SDSU had a decent weekend with a 1-0 win on Friday against Columbia University thanks to a goal by senior midfielder Cat Walker.

“We need to be sharper and come out stronger, but altogether I’m glad we got the win,” junior midfielder Megan Jurado said.

SDSU ties up Long Beach