Plug into San Diego indie at the Soda Bar

soda bar

Somewhere on the fringes of North Park to the east sits a small bar on El Cajon Boulevard hosting the best non-widely known music this side of Interstate 805. This magical indie wonderland called Soda Bar is located at the corner of 36th and El Cajon Boulevard. Soda Bar hosts shows from local acts to national artists every night of the week, with a couple exceptions throughout the month.

Its 200 person capacity is the perfect size and there is never a bad view of the stage. It’s the kind of venue bands play in before they rise to fame. Recent shows at Soda Bar include an appearance by Cults and, fresh off Lollapalooza, Walk The Moon. Notable upcoming shows include Texas southern-rock band Johnathan Tyler & the Northern Lights, singer-songwriter Sean Hayes and Colour Revolt.

The exterior of the club blends in with its neighbors, so finding the dimly lit sign out front is key. The venue itself is divided in half, one side devoted to the performance area and the other to the bar, where patrons can snuggle up in one of the booths lining the walls and let a collection of bartenders serve up delicious libations. The rest of the bar is scattered with a few cocktail tables along the wall and a mix of vintage video games in the back corner.

Soda Bar is a refreshing break from larger venues around the city and allows for the continual discovery of the next big thing. It’s open seven nights a week to everyone 21 and older.