Aztecs struggle in loss

Despite outshooting the opponent 6-5, the San Diego State women’s soccer team suffered a 3-1 loss against Seattle in the UNLV Nike Invitational on Sunday.

Things did not look good from the start for SDSU (5-3-2) as it allowed an early Redhawk goal in the eighth minute of match play off a header in the box from a free kick.

As the momentum quickly shifted in Seattle’s favor, the Aztecs’ leading goal scorer, senior midfielder Cat Walker shifted it back in the Aztecs’ favor with a goal from eight yards out from a short cross from sophomore defender Haley Palmer.

At halftime, the score was tied.

SDSU started well in the second half as its defense did an exceptional job holding off offensive efforts in the box.

However, things quickly turned sour for the Aztecs in the 60th minute as Seattle regained the lead when a cross was played against SDSU’s defense and into the path of a Redhawk forward who found the back of the net from 10 yards out.

From that point on, Seattle’s determination to win the game was apparent, as the team sealed its victory with a third goal in the 83rd minute.

Despite of the Aztec’s most recent defeat, the team did manage to pull through with a 3-0 victory against Hawaii in its first game of the tournament.

A goal in the 25th minute by freshman forward Hannah Keane helped SDSU take a quick lead in the first half.

Junior midfielder Megan Jurado increased the Aztecs’ lead by three with a pair of second-half goals in the 46th and 58th minute of match play.

Redshirt junior Megan Allaire and redshirt freshman Rachel Boaz shared the shutout, with one save by Boaz and two by Allaire. SDSU is now 6-0 all-time vs. Hawaii.

Aztecs struggle in loss