George Harrison documentary to be released in October

He was known as the quiet Beatle. He wasn’t a jokester like Ringo, or as outspoken as John, or as hungry for attention like Paul. He was just George, and you can learn all about him in the upcoming documentary, “George Harrison: Living in the Material World,” which chronicles George Harrison’s life from the rise of the Beatles and Beatlemania to his death from lung cancer in late 2001.

Several production companies interested in making a biopic about the former Beatle approached Harrison’s widow, Olivia, who rejected all offers, keeping Harrison’s wish of his life being told through his film archive. Now, Martin Scorsese has taken the opportunity and “Material World” will be released this October in the U.K. and the U.S.

Courtesy of georgeharrison.com

I’m very excited for this film, not only because I’m a die-hard Beatles fan, but because I think George Harrison had the most underrated solo career in music. His third solo album, the triple record “All Things Must Pass”, is one of my favorite albums of all time, and is composed of songs that Harrison didn’t get to record on Beatles’ albums due to “creative differences.”

The documentary also explores Harrison’s interest in Indian culture and music, and how it influenced his own music and that of the Beatles. It will also discuss his importance and relevance in the Beatles—a hot topic always ready for debate in my circle of friends.

In addition, family and friends, including Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono and Harrison’s son and only child, Dhani, will be given interviews regarding the late, great musician. Keep an eye out for when it hits your town.