Zooey Deschanel charms in new FOX series

MCT Campus
MCT Campus

For ladies who have always been told they have quirky and unique personalities, there is finally a TV show that makes those qualities something to put on display. “New Girl” is a new half-hour comedy on FOX that had the network’s highest rating for a fall debut in 10 years, drawing in more than 10 million viewers, edging out “The Bernie Mac Show” from 2001.

Screenwriter Elizabeth Meriwether developed the idea for “New Girl,” and also wrote the screenplay for the film “No Strings Attached,” released earlier this year. The show stars Zooey Deschanel, who plays the eccentric main character, Jess. The premise begins with Jess needing to move out of the apartment she shares with her boyfriend after she catches him cheating. She finds solace in an apartment with three male roommates, Nick (Jake Johnson), Schmidt (Max Greenfield) and Winston (Lamorne Morris).

All 20-somethings out there will definitely find something to love, whether it be Jess’ tendency to give herself theme songs or someone like Schmidt who collects items left behind from flings in a “lost and found box.” Jess is adorably quotable. She seems to burst with lines such as, “Suck it, Mr. Crabs,” which is used as the ultimate comeback to her ex-boyfriend. The show itself is the perfect combination of witty comedic shenanigans and heart.

Three episodes have aired to date, with a full season already ordered by FOX. Every episode is witty and funny, each with a new crisis to be conquered. The most recently aired episode involves Jess and the guys attending a wedding where ex-girlfriends and flings run rampant.

The all-male atmosphere Jess enters into is a creative twist to typical comedic roommate situations, and it works very well. The show is a hip, witty comedy for young professionals and college students in need of a laugh after long days at work or school.