Enthusiasm high for men’s hoops

Antonio Zaragoza / Photo Editor

Last season’s San Diego State men’s basketball fans created one of the best home-court advantages in the entire nation.

Now that SDSU has lost four of the five players from the starting lineup a season ago, the crowd will be even more critical than it was before.

And from the looks of it, Aztec fans are trying to play their part in keeping Viejas Arena as one of the best home atmospheres in the country.

Last season, 3,300 season tickets were sold. Following a Sweet-16 appearance, the demand for season tickets has skyrocketed.

According to Steve Schnall, associate athletic director, 5,400 tickets have already been purchased for this season.

Last season’s success appears to have solidified the fan base for the men’s basketball team.

“We’ve already broke every school record for season tickets sold and for the base season,” Mike May, SDSU athletic department’s spokesman, said.

Student tickets are now available after ticket distribution began yesterday and even though there has been a policy change for student ticket distribution, excitement for men’s basketball is at an all-time high.

“The Show” will remain prominent at home games this season, and that’s something warmly welcomed by head coach Steve Fisher.

“We will continue to need the ‘The Show’ and the crowd to be as big a part, and maybe even more so, than what they’ve been in the past to help this team be successful,” Fisher said.

Schnall said the students are one of the main reasons behind the increased ticket sales.

“They are as much of a reason as why we’ve seen a increase in sales,” Schnall said. “Students create an amazing atmosphere, one of the best in the country right now.”

Enthusiasm high for men’s hoops