‘thisis Spinal Tap’

For the first free screening at Montezuma Hall last semester, CASEpresented “This is Spinal Tap” in celebration of the film’s rerelease on VHS and DVD. It was a fun time for all twenty people,including myself, who were in attendance (and I’m not beingfacetious).

Luckily for those who missed out, they can now view this comicmasterpiece in the privacy of their own homes.

“This is Spinal Tap,” made in 1984, was Rob Reiner’s directorialdebut. Reiner plays commercial director Marty DiBergi, who hasdecided to make a documentary on his favorite band, Spinal Tap.

With the passionate lead vocals of David St. Hubbins (MichaelMcKean), the blistering guitar solos of Nigel Tufnel (ChristopherGuest), the pounding bass lines of Derek Smalls (Harry Shearer), thekeyboard mastery of Vivian Savage (David Kaff)and a host of ill-fateddrummers, Spinal Tap has earned a reputation as England’s loudestband. Tap embarks on their first American tour in over six years inorder to promote their new album, “Smell the Glove.”

The tour seems to be going fine at the beginning of the film asthe boys of Spinal Tap let loose some of their hits singles like “SexFarm” and “Hell Hole.” Bad things start to happen, however, when theband is asked to change their proposed album cover that depicts agreased, naked woman on all fours with a dog collar around her neckbeing forced to smell a black glove. Oddly enough, their recordcompany finds it offensive.

Bickering, canceled gigs, smaller venues and an unexpected visitby David’s girlfriend Jeanine takes its toll on the band as the tourdrags on.

“This is Spinal Tap” perfectly satirizes rock musicclich

‘thisis Spinal Tap’