GREEK BEAT: 4-14-10

NHPC and USFCSummit

The National Pan-Hellenic Council and the United Sorority and Fraternity Council will host the first NPHC / USFC Greek Summit from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, April 17, in Aztec Center. The summit is organized with the aim to educate participants about the mutual struggles faced by all members of NPHC and USFC.

The summit is open for all Southern California NPHC and USFC chapters, according to Tinebeta Mekonnen, NPHC president. Chapters from UC Los Angeles and UC Riverside have already confirmed attendance, she said.

“This is something we really need so we can learn how we can be better leaders and learn from other organizations,” Mekonnen said.

The summit will consist of guest speakers from the community, panel discussions and workshops.

“We just want to make sure we’re interacting at all times because we feel like we share the same issues,” Mekonnes said.

The event is sponsored by San Diego State’s Office of Intercultural Relations and Cross-Cultural Center.

Fraternity hosts soccer tournament
Sigma Phi Epsilon will sponsor the second annual San Diego Sun Cup, which is a sorority beach soccer tournament, Saturday at Mariner’s Point in Mission Bay.

The tournament is co-hosted by the Sigma Phi Epsilon chapters at the University of San Diego and UC San Diego. The goal is to raise $30,000.

Money raised at the tournament will benefit the Doheny Eye Institute, an organization dedicated to further the conservation, improvement and restoration of human eyesight, according to the DEI’s Web site, www.doheny.orgwww.doheny.org.

One of the fraternity members, Jeremy Poincenot, lost his vision last year as a result of Leber’s Hereditary Optic Neuropathy, according to Doug Case, coordinator of Fraternity and Sorority Life.

Sorority hosts Frisbee tournament

Delta Zeta will host its Ultimate Frisbee Tournament for fraternities Sunday, April 18, at Crown Point in Mission Bay.

The tournament will benefit The Painted Turtle Camp, which provides a year-round, life-changing environment and authentic camp experience for children with chronic and life-threatening illnesses, free of charge, according to The Painted Turtle Camp Web site, www.thepainetedturtle.org.

The sorority has had several pre-events this week including a San Diego Coastkeeper beach cleanup on Saturday, Case said.

-Compiled by Senior Staff Writer Reem Nour

GREEK BEAT: 4-14-10