Arizona dusts up SDSU 8-0

POWER SOURCE: Jackie Eigner drove in the only run for the Aztecs last weekend in a 1-0 victory over Texas Tech.
Daily Aztec photos

Defending national champion Arizona used a four-hit performance by Nancy Evans and the eight-run mercy rule to send San Diego State’s softball squad home early with an 8-0 loss.

Evans (11-0) pitched all five innings for the Wildcats, while Sandra Durazo (4-7) took the loss after giving up four runs in three innings. The win clinched the Hillenbrand Invitational championship for Arizona.

Tara Atkins came on for relief for SDSU but was shelled for four runs in her one inning of work.

The Aztecs (7-16) went 1-4 overall at the tournament. They split their opening doubleheader with Texas Tech Friday. The Red Raiders rode a four-run sixth inning to put away SDSU 6-2 in the opener. Atkins (2-7) took the loss in that game. Left fielder Gina Punaro and pinch hitter Kristy Mensel each batted in a run.

Durazo went the distance in the second game, as Jackie Eigner went 2-for-3 and batted in the game’s only run in the first inning. Durazo held the Raiders to only two hits in the 1-0 win.

Saturday, SDSU got swept by No. 6 Oklahoma. The Sooners won the opener, 4-2, after holding off the Aztecs in the seventh inning. Designated hitter Lisa Marco batted in both runs for SDSU.

The second game ended when the Aztecs’ Anne Marie Risquez hit into a double play, sealing a 3-2 OU win. Rachel Johnson, last week’s Big 12 Player of the Week, had two RBI for the Sooners.

Tomorrow, the Aztecs will try to boost their 2-2 Western Athletic Conference record when they host New Mexico at noon. The Lobos (11-12, 1-5 WAC) got swept by Utah Sunday. Second baseman Rachael Wennekamp leads the team with a .400 average. Kathy Moore (5-5 with six complete games) heads up the pitching staff with a 1.51 earned-run average.

Arizona dusts up SDSU 8-0