Sdsu Makes $750k Snafu

by Staff

Did you catch this one? If you don’t read the sports section ofThe San Diego Union-Tribune you may not have.

Told by Ed Graney, the merciless, “call-it-like-he-sees-it” Aztecsfootball reporter, it’s an article about how San Diego StateUniversity’s Athletic department miscalculated their budget by$750,000.

According to the article, this is the third year in a row thistype of mistake has been made.

Writes Graney: “San Diego State athletic director Rick Bay hasinformed his department that it must take a 20 percentacross-the-board cut for the current fiscal year, due to an errorthat was caught last month.

“SDSU’s fiscal budget includes operating costs. There also is theAztec Athletic Foundation budget, which is computed on a calendarbasis. The two intertwine, which makes it somewhat difficult topredict numbers.

“There is little room to work with. Salaries and scholarships arefixed, which means the (funds will come) … from operating costs,which includes things like traveling, recruiting and equipment.

“Sports such as football and men’s basketball have a chance tomake up for the cut through fund raising, but others don’t have theluxury of such a following.”

Did you catch this one, Part II

Why is it that when SDSU makes national headlines it so often isfollowed with slightly embarrassing news?

Case in point: Rush Limbaugh and Jay Leno both cracked jokes aboutSDSU last April after it was discovered that 25 SDSU students hadcheated on their business ethics test.

This month SDSU made a different kind of headline. The universityreceived top honors not once, not twice, but three times for variouscategories in Playboy’s annual “The Campus Buzz.”

The section is designed to give readers an overview of the coolestparties and hippest spots around the nation.

SDSU’s three mentions were only beaten out by New YorkUniversity’s four.

Our campus is known for, according to the magazine, having one ofthe best parties of the year, “Reggae Sunsplash;” owning one of thecoolest bars, “Monty’s;” and having the best place to take a date,”George’s at the Cove.”

At least the last one isn’t too bad.

Weber talks Shared Vision

Some think it was a waste of time; others think it was aninvaluable process.

What is it? Simply put, about four years ago, SDSU’s faculty,staff and students began to put together a conglomeration of thoughtsand ideas about what the university’s goals should be into one,neatly-typed report – the Shared Vision.

Since that time, a few of the initiatives in the Shared Visionreport were funded by the university.

SDSU President Stephen Weber said in a recent interview that theproject needs to grow and cultivate, and non-believers in the processneed to give it a little more time.

Said Weber: “It’s a multi-year process. Shared Vision is from nowuntil 2007. I think we’ve had a really good first year. We fundedShared Vision initiatives at about $900,000 last year.

“This is the first year of our reporting on it. But these thingshave come along, I think, pretty well.

“One of our major goals is academic excellence. We have a strongerstudent body than we’ve had previously, (a lot) of that has to dowith impaction.

“We’ve just hired 65 new faculty members, and that goes back toShared Vision and the notion that academic quality has to beincreasing the portion of tenure-track versus non-tenure trackfaculty members.

“So were kind of right there. We’ve increased the office ofdiversity and equity … we’ve got a service learning operation,things like that.”

A update on Shared Vision is due to be released from SDSU’sMarketing and Communications office within the next two weeks.

Weber said that report should entail a review of the first year,as well as projections.

“For example … the wide use of resources,” he said. “One of thebiggest problems we’ve had is our university is not receiving theprivate support it should compared to similar institutions.

“We’ve rebuilt our whole university advancement operation andstepped forth our goals in terms of fund raising.”

What does Weber say about Shared Visions criticism?

“What the process did was allow the campus community to giveinput,” he said. “And they came up with five basic goals. There arepeople who would have preferred that there be different goals.”