Diversity efforts brings Safe Zones

San Diego State is becoming a more friendly environment for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer community because of Safe Zone training that faculty, staff and students have undergone. Volunteers from the LGBTQ community, whose mission is to ensure a campus atmosphere that is welcoming, informative and supportive, provide Safe Zone training. The program also provides information about LGBTQ issues, support groups and referrals.

Once someone has completed the training, he or she receives a multi-colored sticker to place on his or her office or room window that indicates the room is a “Safe Zone.” The goal of this is to ensure a member of the LGBTQ community can feel safe and secure while talking to an ally who has been trained.

“It’s like a professionalized stamp to let people who may feel oppressed, know you seriously care about what they have to say and that they can talk to you,” political science sophomore Canae Washington said.

Since 2007, a core group of collaborators comprised of students, faculty and staff has devoted its time and resources to meeting the goals of on-campus Safe Zones. The President’s Office, Associated Students and Residential Education are just a few of the SDSU organizations involved in trying to make SDSU a safer LGBTQ community.

Nichola Lawrence is a residence hall coordinator in Zura Residence Hall and finds Safe Zone training beneficial because it informs people of all the different resources on campus that are provided for the LGBTQ community.

“The training addition educates you on oppressive attitudes that LGBTQ students face on a daily basis,” Lawrence said. “This I believe is the first step in advocacy.”

According to assistant professor of women’s studies Sara Giordano, Safe Zone training provides professors with more than just the recognition of being friendly toward the LGBTQ community, but it also contributes to becoming a better listener.

“The most important part of the training is learning to be a good listener and be a good ally to anyone, and hear students out and not go into problem solving mode right away” Giordana said.

As a faculty member who openly identifies herself as queer, Giordano wants to promote a safe environment for students and other faculty who do not feel comfortable or know who to talk to.

It is never too late to become an ally for the LGBTQ community. Safe Zone training is offered every semester free of charge.

More information about this training can be found at newscenter.sdsu.edu/lgbtq/safezones.

Diversity efforts brings Safe Zones