SOFTBALL: UCLA continues domination of SDSU

The San Diego State women’s softball team might have wanted to trade in their batting gloves for mittens on Saturday.Beneath overcast skies and a frigid, windy climate, SDSU’s bats mimicked the conditions and went cold at the worst possible time in a nine-inning loss to No. 4 UCLA (18-2).The 2-1 loss marked the Aztecs 46th consecutive defeat to the Bruins as senior pitcher Anjelica Selden struck out 13 and walked none in her nine-inning complete game performance. The dominating effort was good enough to give the right-hander her ninth victory of the year.A pair of SDSU miscues in the sixth inning cost the team the game. With a runner on second and two outs and the game still tied 0-0, freshman shortstop Jen Wisneski allowed the inning to continue by booting a routine ground ball. Senior pitcher Christina Ross then cleanly fielded a soft come-backer but threw it into right field to allow UCLA its first run.The Aztecs answered back in the bottom half of the inning with a run and pushed the game into extra innings but finally fell in the ninth when UCLA was able to score after a leadoff double. Junior Tonye McCorkle led off the bottom of the ninth with a single but Selden retired the next three SDSU players to end the game. Ross threw all nine innings for the Aztecs, striking out six and allowing just one earned run in her complete game effort.But the day almost turned into a complete disaster in the nightcap of the double header Saturday as SDSU fell behind 3-2 to a lowly Eastern Michigan (5-11) team.Going into the top of the seventh down 3-2, Knudsen and senior outfielder Tamani Wells hit back-to-back one-out singles. After a McCorkle groundout that advanced the runners to second and third, junior catcher Erin Floros stepped into the batter’s box with the winning run on second base and two outs.Floros calmly laced a 2-1 pitch into center field that managed to put the Aztecs up 4-3 en route to their 15th win of the year.Even with the win, head coach Kathy Van Wyk was mildly disappointed in her team’s performance. “It’s nice to pick up a win, and we’re getting closer (to UCLA) each time,” Van Wyk said. “After that first game, our intensity was down but Ross was able to give us a spark and ignite our team.”Ross came on in the middle of the sixth inning after freshman pitchers Samantha Beasley and Brooke Petty struggled. Ross retired the final five EMU batters and picked up her ninth victory of the season.”I’m just glad we won as a team,” Ross said. “We really needed that game after losing to a tough (UCLA) team.”