FILM & FASHION ISSUE: Depp and Jolie’s Tour de France

Angelina Jolie as "Elise" and Johnny Depp as "Frank" in Columbia Pictures' thriller THE TOURIST. Courtesy of Sony

By Paul Hernandez, Staff Writer

Johnny Depp’s characters occasionally find themselves in predicaments involving clumsy humor, danger and impromptu beauties. As is the case for the winter thriller, “The Tourist,” directed by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck and co-starring Angelina Jolie.

Down and out in Venice, Italy and suffering from a hangover of the heart, Frank (Depp), an American tourist, finds himself in the middle of Elise’s (Jolie) way, deliberately. With Paris and Venice as the backdrop of the movie, flirtatious behavior will be in plentiful supply without losing class. Thanks to Elise’s ravishing voodoo, Frank, naturally mesmerized, finds himself in a game of life and death involving mistaken identity. As the whirlwind of action increases, so too does Elise’s and Frank’s adoration for one another.

Audiences can look forward to chasing the two Hollywood heavyweights through the canals of Italy and alleys of Paris. A remake of the 2005 French film “Anthony Zimmer,” “The Tourist” seems like it might be an elite yet tamer version of “Mission Impossible.” It also might be safe to assume the skilled acting will engage the audience’s eyes, more luring if one will. While “The Tourist” might be considered just another romantic thriller, box office sales will do just fine with Depp’s and Jolie’s names on the marquee.

Movie: The Tourist

Directed by: Florian Henckel von

Donnersmarck

Release Date: Dec. 10

Starring: Jonny Depp, Angelina Jolie, Paul Bettany and Timothy Dalton