National News

Tragedy and sorrow rock Ohio town

A gunman opened fire yesterday at Chardon High School in Chardon, Ohio. The gunman, reported as a juvenile, allegedly walked to a table of four students and proceeded to open fire.

One student was killed and four others were wounded.

The shooter was reportedly chased out of the school by the assistant football coach and was arrested by police a short time later.

Though the name of the shooter has been withheld by police, another student reported to CNN the shooter was T.J. Lane, a student at the high school.

U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan said in a statement, “Preliminary reports indicate that if it were not for the extraordinary courage of a teacher who chased the shooter out of the school, and if not for the speedy reaction of school leaders, the toll of these shootings could have been even worse.”

Romney tries to hold slight lead in Michigan

The results of today’s primary in Michigan are predicted as being a single-digit difference between presidential hopefuls Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum, polls taken during the weekend revealed.

Different agencies conducted five polls with three resulting in Romney taking a two-to –four point lead against Santorum.

The numbers are currently hovering around 40, with Romney claiming roughly 39 percent of the vote and Santorum claiming roughly 37.

Other candidates Ron Paul and Newt Gingrich trail with percentages below 15 percent.

The Michigan primary is being hailed as one of particular note because of Mitt Romney’s ties with the state. Romney’s father, George Romney, was governor of Michigan from 1963 to 1969.

However, analysts claim Santorum’s appeal to Tea Party conservatives is providing momentum within the state.

—Compiled by Assistant News Editor Kevin Smead

National News