Pushing limits is nothing new for Pezzolla

Junior utility Amber Pezzolla has led the Aztecs to an 11-6 record and a No. 6 ranking this season. | Peter Kluch, Senior Staff Photographer

The 2012 season thus far has been nothing short of exciting for the San Diego State water polo team. With an 11-6 overall record and a No. 6 ranking, the SDSU players are not only enjoying consistent victories, but also excelling as a team.

Junior utility Amber Pezzolla is loving this season as an Aztec, pushing herself to new limits and setting admirable goals for her team.

Pezzolla’s hard work has clearly been paying off as she was recently honored on CollegeSports360.com’s “Primetime Performer’s Weekly Honor Roll.” Pezzolla appreciated being honored by the website.

“It was a great feeling,” she said. “I felt very blessed but couldn’t have been noticed without my team; we had a great tournament that weekend and the fact that I got chosen for the honor was just a resemblance of how well our team was playing.”

Apart from accepting a team leadership role this season, Pezzolla’s primary goal is to maintain a positive attitude.

“The hardest obstacle I have come by so far with this goal is to keep a positive attitude in a game in which we are losing … and making sure we don’t blame situations on each other.”

Aside from goals, there are challenges Pezzolla has faced until this point.

“The biggest challenge for me this season is taking on a leadership role of being captain,” she said. “And the fact my team believed in me enough to choose me was a huge honor. It comes with a lot of responsibility to always make sure we stick together as a team at all times.”

Pezzolla plans to fulfill her leadership position as much as possible by placing high and eventually leading her team to the NCAA’s.

“Our expectation this season is to finish in the top five and make it to NCAA’s,” she said. “My own expectation is to continue to be a leader for my team inside and outside of the water.”