Businesses busily bustle

Alongside many other businesses, Pura Vida displays its Costa Rican bracelets on Campanile Walkway. | Antonio Zaragoza, Photo Editor

Students and business owners gathered on Campanile Walkway on Tuesday to present their commerce.

Hosted by the Entrepreneur Society and the Entrepreneurial Management Center at San Diego State, Entrepreneur Day allowed alumni, students and community members to introduce new merchandise and share ideas with potential customers.

“Before this, I was doing online advertising,” SDSU alumnus with a bachelor’s degree in business administration and marketing Justin Ker said. “It’s good being out talking to people selling any product.”

Ker is a consultant for Pura Vida Bracelets, a corporation that provides full-time jobs for local artisans in Costa Rica. According to Ker, Entrepreneur Day allows him to practice his marketing skills.

According to business management senior Sudipa Datta, the event also helped launch student-owned businesses. Along with business partner Jeannete Lizarraga, Datta showcased a new product.

“This is the first day I am selling these,” Datta said. “It’s called the Pocket Garter. When girls go out clubbing, a lot of times they don’t want to carry purses, so they can put their phones, cards and keys here. It hides them under their dress.”

Attendees had the opportunity to hear SDSU entrepreneurs speak about their experiences and answer the audience’s questions.

“It’s an amazing event because it gives us the opportunity to see the past alumni who have started their own businesses,” marketing senior and event attendee Christina Marez said. “It also gives current students their chance to be entrepreneurs for a day.”

Entrepreneur Day was used by some students as a way to network with potential employers.

Commander-in-Chief of clothing brand Volga Verdi Peter Green was brought in by a biology student who said she wanted to master her studies at SDSU and hopefully find a niche she could market. Green was able to promote his clothing, as well as interact with customers.

“Now I can see who the crowd is, what they are looking for and what they are attracted to” Green said. “It’s just fun.”

Businesses busily bustle