Tech and art descend on the Southwest

Austin, Texas has opened its doors to South by Southwest every year since 1987. The nine-day festival takes advantage of venues all over the city to host concerts, seminars, talks, screenings and more. | Courtesy of Extreme Air Shots

The debate is up in the air regarding where “the happiest place on Earth” actually is. However, for a few weeks every March, many in the music, film and social media industry will argue that their Disneyland is in Austin, Texas, at a festival called South by Southwest. The nine-day festival, more affectionately known as SXSW, began on Friday and will last through Sunday. The festival itself is divided into three different sections: music, film and interactive. Each section requires a badge for the panels, networking events and nightly special events. SXSW is not just a music or film festival, it’s the equivalent of San Diego’s annual Comic-Con International for the entertainment industry, drawing fans and industry professionals from all around the world.

The interactive portion of SXSW concluded Tuesday night with the Interactive Accelerator Award Ceremony. Interactive brings together the brightest minds in today’s technology industry. The section showcases the newest in video games, mobile apps, websites and start-ups. This year’s keynote speaker was Baratunde Thurston, director of digital at The Onion, a parody news website.

Sponsors such as Pepsi, AT&T and Miller Lite hosted mixers and events throughout the week, including an event with YouTube sensation and video mixer Mike Relm. In the past, SXSW Interactive has propelled mobile apps to stardom, helping Foursquare, Twitter and Facebook apps become part of daily life.

SXSW is not only about checking in and gaining badges, it’s built to give a platform for up-and-coming bands and films, as well as lesser-known independent bands from all around the world. Several local San Diego bands are taking stage in Austin this week, competing with bands for the attention of festivalgoers. SXSW is unique from all other major yearly festivals because the venues are spread all throughout Austin, allowing attendees to see a multitude of bands on the verge, along with well-known artists in small venues. This offers a more intimate experience than the vastness of Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival or Bonnaroo.

Catherine Hardwicke and Shiloh Fernandez lead a directing seminar at South by Southwest’s film conference. | Courtesy of Erin Fotos

SXSW Music kicked off festivities Tuesday, and will run through Sunday night. The music festival also includes informative panels from the industry’s most influential and creative leaders. Panels range from how to remain an independent band to running a music blog. Past keynote speeches were delivered by the likes of Bob Geldof (2011), Robert Plant (2005) and Johnny Cash (1994). Bruce Springsteen will be added to the list this year.

The widespread availability of music and shows is the main draw for many at SXSW every year. While all panels and many events require a music badge to attend, there are still some showcases accessible by ticket or via magical password. The badge-only, major shows fans shouldn’t miss include fun., The Shins, M. Ward, Skrillex and The Cult. Many magazines, blogs, record labels and sponsors provide their own showcases throughout the week. This year will feature showcases put on by SPIN Magazine, KUT Austin, Consequence of Sound and Rolling Stone.

SXSW coordinators have taken on the parties and events that seem to overshadow the daytime panels by adding official SXSW event houses, such as the FADER FORT and Hype Machine’s Hype Hotel, both gaining more attention every year.

There are more than 2,000 musical acts hitting the venues in Austin this year, all looking for fame and fortune, Foster the People-style. Who will be the breakout star of this year’s SXSW?

Maybe it will be one of the five SXSW Bands to Watch listed below, including a local band going to SXSW for the first time:

Little Hurricane (San Diego): Nothing about this band’s sound is little. It’s full of rough-around-the-edges guitar riffs and haunting vocals. The band will be playing in showcases alongside The Shins, M. Ward and Delta Spirit this week.

Grimes (Montreal, Canada): Grimes is a hazy, atmospheric space-punk darling of an artist. She is supporting her recently released album, “Visions,” and will be performing at the Central Presbyterian Church tonight.

Electric Guest (Los Angeles): The number of Los Angeles-based bands caravanning to Austin this week begs the question if anyone is left in the City of Angels. Electric Guest is the indie-rock stand out of the batch. It has only released three songs, including a high-energy single earlier this year, “The Head I Hold.” It will be interesting to see the post-SXSW reactions to this band.

Daughter (London): As precious as a morning snowfall on an open plain, the vocals from Elena Tonra are classic and complementary to the simple guitar behind each lyric. She plays the Communion Showcase tomorrow night alongside folk musician Ben Howard, among others.

Kimbra (Hamilton, New Zealand): Kimbra might not be a kitchen-table name, but her voice is taking over the airwaves. She’s the featured vocal on the surprise smash radio hit, “Somebody That I Used To Know,” by Gotye. Kimbra’s debut album is not as folky as much as electronica gold á la Ellie Goulding and Zola Jesus. She managed to get a spot in the KCRW showcase yesterday, playing with Band of Skulls and others.

There aren’t any Disney princesses roaming around the street, nor is there Space Mountain, but the consolation prize is getting to rub elbows with popular musicians and soon-to-be-heard-on-the-radio artists as well. SXSW is an event not to be missed and should be posted to Instagram to earn the coveted yearly SXSW Foursquare badge.

Tech and art descend on the Southwest