Rejects and Adestria drop quality albums

Courtesy of Razor and Tie Publicity
Courtesy of Razor and Tie Publicity
Courtesy of Razor and Tie Publicity
Courtesy of Razor and Tie Publicity

The title of the new The All-American Rejects full-length is a bit ironic: the foursome, led by hollow-cheeked beauty Tyson Ritter, are not kids. If anything, “Kids in the Street” proves the band’s maturity.

Ritter no longer sings sassiness such as “When the World Comes Down’s” “Gives You Hell,” but instead croons with a ripeness unheard in previous albums (vulgar language included).

The result is a powerfully moving set of tracks, each with its own quirkiness that only the Rejects can pull off, and all representing a pure form of rock that has mostly disappeared in today’s dubstep and pop world.

The album is dripping with the group’s unique flavor, which is most apparent on tracks “Beekeeper’s Daughter,” “Kids in the Street” and “Someday’s Gone.”

Others, such as “Bleed Into Your Mind,” are more experimental, but still as enjoyable. Ultimately, “Kids” proves itself worthy of the more than three-year wait.

Courtesy of Razor and Tie Publicity
Courtesy of Razor and Tie Publicity

Adestria’s latest full-length album is an energetic punk / heavy metal / pop blend that seems to be the latest thing in today’s music world.

But don’t let that be deterring — “Chapters” rises above the crowd with musical precision and frontman Matt Anderson’s vocals stand on par with other screamo bands such as The Devil Wears Prada and August Burns Red. This is a feat, considering the oldest member of the San Diego sextet is merely 21.

Meanwhile, the fullness in melody supporting the lyrics gives the album momentum with an edge. Every song, save for the piano ballad “More Than You Know,” is an instant catalyst for a mosh pit.

The band also gets a fair share of help from members of The World Alive, Vanna and In Fear and Faith, which each contribute to a song. The record is fierce and enjoyable, and for a young band beginning to emerge onto the scene, that’s not a bad way to go.