JAM: 5 reasons why “The Beatles: The Next Generation” won’t work out

So there’s been some talk on the interwebs about what appears to be a Beatles reboot. Paul McCartney’s son James told the BBC that he would be interested in starting a “Beatles: the Next Generation” outfit, during an interview last Tuesday. Dhani Harrison has expressed interest, as well as Sean Lennon. Now, I’m a pretty big Beatles fan and have been for a while, and I know I’m not the only one who knows that this will not work out. To support this, here are 5 Reasons why “The Beatles: The Next Generation” Will Not Work Out.

5. The Name

With a name like “The Beatles: the Next Generation”, how far do you think you’re going to go? Not only is it an uncreative name, it’s just plain lazy, as most sequel titles are. “The Fab Four” and “Rain”, both names of Beatles cover bands, are better band names than the one that has been floating around online.

4. No Drummer…Yet

Ringo Starr’s son Zak Starky hasn’t shown any interest in McCartney’s bastard brainchild. He’s currently the drummer for the Who and has recorded and performed with them since 1996—filling the shoes for his godfather, Keith Moon, who passed away back in 1978. This is a gig I don’t think anyone would give up, especially for a project like “Next Generation”. McCartney has questioned whether Starr’s other son, Jason, might be interested. Let’s hope he isn’t.

3. Great Expectations

If you say you’re going to be this generations Beatles, then you better hope you got some creative tricks up your sleeve or else the media, and Beatles fans, will crucify you. It seems as though McCartney is so confident that “Next Generation” is going to be successful that I don’t think he’s even thought of the repercussions. Critics would love to see their first album tank more than they would like to see it succeed. Also, would they be able to replicate the madness of Beatlemania at Shea Stadium back in 1965?

2. Lennon/McCartney…The Next Generation?

Are we expected to believe that the offspring of one of the most successful songwriting partnerships in the history of music can create a big as impact on the world as their fathers did? John Lennon and Paul McCartney’s songwriting partnership had evolved from a close friendship to a bitter (and this word might be harsh) rivalry. By the time The Beatles, also known as the White Album, was being recorded, the two began to work on their material separately, rarely collaborating. The friendship and dissolution between themselves, George Harrison, and Starr greatly affected their songwriting. They wrote some of their best stuff when they were at each other’s throats, and that’s something “Next Generation” can’t just recreate.

1. We Don’t Need a “Next Generation” of Something We Already Have.

Do you guys remember when everyone forgot who The Beatles were, and all their music, movies, and memorabilia was wiped off the face of the Earth?

Me neither. The Beatles’ first album was released forty-seven years ago–one father ago—but it still has the same effect today. Put “Twist and Shout” in a movie or commercial and it’ll be recognized instantly. The same can be said for numerous Beatles songs. Basically, the Beatles have reached immortality, and will influence many more generations. Starting a “Next Generation” of the Beatles is openly saying, “That era of the Beatles is over, now it’s time for this one”. Shame on you, James.

My advice to McCartney is simple: start a band, sure! You’re a pretty good performer and I don’t see why not. And if you want that band to consist of the sons of your father’s old rock band then that’s cool, do that too. But don’t call yourself the “next generation” of the Beatles—don’t try to recreate something that doesn’t need recreation, instead start something new and original. Your father is one of the most creative minds in music; surely the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.