Bradley scores career-high 17 points in loss

San Diego State senior forward Jessika Bradley’s 17 points weren’t enough for the Aztecs on Saturday, Peter Kluch / Staff Photographer

The San Diego State women’s basketball team had a hard time scoring against TCU on Saturday. As a matter of fact, SDSU had a hard time even getting a shot off.

The Aztecs committed 15 first half turnovers and went nearly 14 minutes without scoring a field goal against the Horned Frogs in a 63-52 loss in Fort Worth, Texas.

“We got to be able to pass the ball a little better and see openings a little better,” head coach Beth Burns said.

SDSU started the game hot as sophomore guard Courtney Clements scored eight points early and the Aztecs jumped out to a 12-5 lead. But TCU turned up the pressure and went into a full court press for the remainder of the game, forcing SDSU to make several mistakes. The Aztecs could not break the press and TCU ended the first half on a 21-2 run.

“We’re struggling on the perimeter, it’s no secret,” Burns said. “At halftime I said, ‘Look, we’ve taken 12 threes and haven’t been getting the ball inside. We need more touches inside.’”

Defensively, the Aztecs were able to shut down the two Horned Frog stars. Emily Carter and Helena Sverrisdotter went a combined 6-23 from the field, including 0-13 from beyond the arc. It was other players that stepped up for TCU, such as Delisa Gross who scored 20 points and made every shot she took.

SDSU senior forward Jessika Bradley made her best effort to keep the Aztecs in the game as she scored a career-high 17 points, all in the second half. And despite cutting the Horned Frog’s lead to only three in the second half, the press proved to be costly for SDSU down the stretch as it could not answer TCU’s late run.

“You got to know what you can do, and you got to know what the guy next to you can do,” Burns said. “And (losing) won’t change unless we do, these younger girls have got to work harder.”