Epicureans stroll in downtown San Diego

Courtesy of bitesandiego.com
Courtesy of bitesandiego.com

Just when San Diego locals and visitors alike think they have toured and tasted it all, an innovative and unique company offers culinary enthusiasts an exciting new pastime.

“Bite San Diego is San Diego’s premier food tasting and cultural walking tour company,” bitesandiego.com states. “We take you inside the restaurants that have impacted San Diego’s culinary scene and show you what it is and where it’s going.”

Bite San Diego leads walking tours that allow food lovers to explore what San Diego’s restaurant scene has to offer. Those who tour can look forward to learning the history of some of the city’s most legendary restaurants.

According to the website, Bite San Diego was started last year by a San Diego native who had a dream in her heart and a hunger in her belly. She wanted to expose the public to more than its stereotype staples of “fish tacos and cheap sushi.”

Bite San Diego tours visitor areas of downtown, covering culinary hotspots in the historic Gaslamp Quarter, Fourth Avenue, Horton Plaza, Broadway and Little Italy. These tours are offered Fridays and Saturdays at noon.

“Our Downtown tour samples Indian cuisine, gourmet hot dogs, authentic Italian dessert, local beer selections, fresh ceviche, and gourmet popcorn, all subject to change by our chefs’ whims,” bitesandiego.com said.

To whet appetites along the walk, tour guides feed hungry minds historical nuggets about San Diego and the food that is creating a stir in the city’s stomach.

Not only does the tour company satisfy San Diego’s culinary cravings, it does so sustainably. According to bitesandiego.com, the company donates 2 percent of its annual profits to the San Diego Roots Sustainable Food Project.

“Bite San Diego is committed to sustainable urban-rural partnerships that help put healthy, locally grown food on our restaurants’ tables,” bitesandiego.com states.

The maximum number of people allowed per tour is 15, and there are six restaurant stops comprising each tour. For those who like to pair their entrée with some exercise, a 1.5 to 2 mile walk is standard for a downtown tour, allowing for a good hour of sightseeing before noshing to the grub.

Tickets for Bite San Diego walking tours can be purchased online through the company website or by phone. For the three-hour tour, tickets cost $39 and must be purchased by credit card in advance. For more information, visit bitesandiego.com.

Epicureans stroll in downtown San Diego