Clothing trucks draw curbside fashionistas

Therapie Boutique remedies locals’ fashion woes by delivering threads from the catwalk to the sidewalk. | Monica Linzmeier, Staff Photographer

Mobile fashion trucks have become a trending phenomenon, introducing a new way to shop without setting foot in a mall. Inspired by the food truck craze, mobile shopping has emerged as a way for up-and-coming designers and shop owners to engage with the fashion-conscious public through mobile boutiques that connect to shoppers with regular Facebook and Twitter updates, sharing whereabouts and upcoming events.

Jeanine Romo and Stacey Steffe, forerunners of the mobile fashion trend, opened Le Fashion Truck last January. The Los Angeles-based store offers unique finds, from local designers to vintage goods, as well as Romo’s personal jewelry line.

“What’s key for us is not being grounded in one location at a time,” Steffe said in an interview with Fox Business. “LA is a spread-out city, so we aren’t waiting for customers to come to us. We could never just pick up a brick-and-mortar and move it.”

Créme Tangerine is a trailer for the musically inclined, parked outside Urban Outfitters in Costa Mesa. Blues singer Parker Macy opened this quaint vintage trailer to buy and sell a variety of rare vinyl, along with newer records. The classic, baby blue trailer houses records to satisfy all musical tastes, whether retro or modern.

San Diego’s very own fashion truck, Therapie Boutique, boasts its accessibility with its motto: “Style on the Go!”

Owner Kelly Carney has operated boutiques in San Diego and worked at Nordstrom for 15 years.

“I was looking at what the food trucks were doing and said, ‘If they can do it then I can,’” Carney said in an interview with Any Second Now. “All women need shopping therapy, and I wanted to be able to bring my concept and clothes to busy women all over San Diego. My style is classic contemporary with a little bit of edge. I offer something for everyone no matter your age, style or size. Therapie Boutique has something for everyone.”

Inside the stylized RV, all merchandise is priced for less than $75. This includes a selection of purses, hats, scarves, jewelry and accessories, as well as bottoms, dresses and tops for any body shape.

Therapie Boutique and Vespa Motorsport held an event called Moda de Mayo last Saturday, with festivities including music, live art, a fashion show, food trucks and a raffle. A portion of the proceeds from the event went to the San Diego Bulldog Rescue.

Therapie Boutique can be found on Fern Street and on the second Saturday of every month at the Pacific Beach Farmers Market. It can also be found on Baynard and Hornblend every Tuesday and at North Park Farmers Market every Thursday.

For those seeking a combination of welcoming, personal service and immediacy, mobile retail trucks offer perfect harmony.

In an interview with Any Second Now, Carney explained the most enjoyable part of her venture: “I am able to do anything — the sky is the limit. I can go to people’s homes, farmers markets, local events and fundraisers. Therapie Boutique brings shopping therapy to every woman — We are style on the go.”