Beach Boys rally for reunion tour

MCT Campus
MCT Campus

Just in time for tropical shirts and summer dresses, The Beach Boys has embarked on a remarkable 50th anniversary tour this summer, making a stop in San Diego later this month. This will be the first time in more than 20 years the entire band has toured together. An introduction is hardly needed for this legendary group, comprised of members Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston and David Marks.

The band formed in Hawthorne in 1961 and defined the surf rock genre as it is known today. Since formation, The Beach Boys has released more than 30 albums, including classics such as “Pet Sounds” and “Surfin’ USA,” featuring hits such as, but certainly not limited to: “California Girls,” “God Only Knows,” “Wouldn’t It Be Nice,” “Good Vibrations” and “I Get Around.” To this day, “Pet Sounds” remains one of the most influential albums in music, earning the honor of being named No. 2 on Rolling Stone’s list of the “500 Greatest Albums of All Time.” The album dips into the psychedelia pool through the band’s use of the electro-theremin and harpsichords, while still staying true to The Beach Boys’ surf roots. The band just released a teaser to its upcoming single, “That’s Why God Made The Radio,” which brings back the retro feel of its music to present day.

Foster the People will join The Beach Boys on tour, coming off a collaborative Grammy performance earlier this year. Foster the People may seem like a strange choice, but hopefully the fusion of yesteryear classic and today’s popular music will please all ages when both bands come to Chula Vista at 7:30 p.m. on May 25 at Cricket Wireless Amphitheatre. Tickets range from $32.50 to $112.50 and are available via LiveNation. The show is all ages. Get summer started right with a “fun, fun, fun” night of music.

Beach Boys rally for reunion tour