CFA asks for role in hiring process

On June 6, president of the California Faculty Association Lillian Taiz wrote a letter to the California State University Board of Trustees asking it to provide a more diverse hiring committee and a “collaborative working relationship among the entire university community.”

Taiz also supported an editorial in The Sacramento Bee that suggested the board publicly announce the finalists and allow them to schedule an interactive meeting with the public.

Before the board’s secrecy in its 1997 decision to search for a new chancellor, was exposed to the public eye. The CFA and The Bee propose more transparency.

CFA Vice President Kim Geron said many people expressed concern about the hiring process for the new chancellor and the importance of maintaining this transparency.

“So far, the CSU Trustees are conducting a semi-closed process,” Geron said. “We believe this terribly important position in a public university should be done with transparency and clear accountability.”

San Diego State Vice President of External Affairs Tom Rivera said he thinks there is confidentiality in the hiring process for a reason. “Confidentiality is there to protect the applicants who are seeking the

job,” Rivera said. “Like university presidents, these applicants usually come from administrations of other universities, so it can cause a lot of problems if the information is out to the public. As far as if transparency is necessary, I think it is confidential for a reason.”

On June 12, CSU Board Chair Bob Linscheid appointed seven trustees for the selection process of the new chancellor. Trustee Bill Hauck will chair the Special Committee.

The first meeting is scheduled from 10 a.m. to noon on June 28 at the Chancellor’s Office in Long Beach, allowing the public and stakeholders an opportunity to provide their input and opinion.

CFA asks for role in hiring process