West Commons upgrades set to complete in 2015

Photo Editor Paige Nelson

Built in 1957, Nasatir and Storm Halls on the west side of the San Diego State campus are receiving a long-awaited makeover.

The two buildings have been undergoing construction since June 1 in order to accommodate advancing technological needs and the growing university.

The renovation will improve the buildings with new mechanical and electrical systems, double-pane windows and thermal insulation. By improving the efficiency of older systems, the entire complex will require less energy than it currently takes to operate. The complex will be approximately 22,000 square feet larger than what it previously was.

There will be an addition to the west side of Storm Hall that will hold two new lectures halls seating approximately 300 and 500 students, as well as two levels of faculty and department offices. The current location of Nasatir 100 will become a food service Aztec Shops venue that could offer new opportunities for student employment.

Temporary classrooms have been created in the O and P parking lots on College Avenue as well as in Peterson Gym, Love Library, the former Communication building East Mall.

Department offices and lab space will be moved to Hepner Hall. The relocating of this space will not interfere with any departments or classrooms already established in these buildings.

This project was originally funded in 2008 but was put on hold when the state had trouble issuing bonds to pay for it. The renovation itself is estimated to cost $73,048,000, supported by taxpayer funded bonds.

“To say it in another way, if we didn’t spend this money on construction we wouldn’t have the money, it would be spent on other construction projects elsewhere in California,” SDSU Associate Vice President for Operations Robert Schulz said.

About $10,245,000 of the estimated cost is from non-state funded support, including Aztec Shops, which will pay for the new food service area.

The College of Extended Studies, which will fund the two new lecture classrooms. There will be instructional cost savings with the addition of the two large lecture classrooms that will help meet other budget restrictions.

Although the buildings will remain under construction for the upcoming school year, access to the surrounding parking structures will continue to be available for students. The project is estimated to be complete in January 2015.