Leon McFadden – The man under the helmet

As San Diego State concludes the first week of fall football camp, spirits and expectations are high. Sports editor Ryan Schuler caught up with Aztec cornerback and Mountain West Preseason Defensive Player of the Year Leon McFadden after practice to get to know the man under the helmet.

Ryan Schuler: You’re a week through fall camp. How do you think you’ve done so far?

Leon McFadden: I think we have progressed a lot further than we have in previous camps. We are ahead of schedule and getting better every day, but there’s always room for improvement. We are off to a good start.

RS: You signed with SDSU as a wide receiver. Why did you switch to defensive back?

LM: We were three days into camp and a couple of guys went down at corner. In high school, I played corner and receiver. Thecoaches told me I could play as a true freshman if I switched to corner, so whatever to help the team and that’s what happened. It benefitted me, so I’m happy about the change.

RS: You have been tabbed preseason first-team allconference by just about every publication as well as Mountain West Preseason Defensive Player of the Year. What does that mean to you? Leon McFadden – The man under the helmet

LM: It’s an honor to be acknowledged by my peers. It’s great, but our main focus is to be Mountain West champions.

RS: You start the season at Washington, a Pac-12 school. What do you think it is going to feel like to run onto that field?

LM: The adrenaline is going to be pumping. It’s going to be a fun experience and we are going to be ready to play. Also, not many people know this FOOTBALL but Washington’s quarterback (Keith Price) was my high school quarterback.

RS: Your father played professional baseball in the Houston Astros organization. Why did you choose to play football instead of baseball?

LM: My dad didn’t push me into baseball. I played football, basketball, baseball and track in high school, but he just wanted me to be happy with whatever I played and it just so happens I excelled in football. Baseball is great, but football is what I wanted to do.

RS: Why did you choose to attend and play for SDSU?

LM: I was recruited by coach (Brady) Hoke and I wanted to be a part of a change. The program just seemed to be going in the right direction and it has been these last three years.

RS: What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

LM: I like to hang out with teammates and go to the beach. Basically, I just like to be outdoors. I’ve never been much of a video game guy. I like to stay active.

RS: What is your favorite NFL team?

LM: Philadelphia Eagles.

RS: What is your favorite Olympic sport?

LM: It’s between track and field and basketball, but I probably have to go with basketball.

RS: What’s one thing on your bucket list?

LM: I would have to say travel the world. Watching the Olympics, you see different people and cultures, so I want to see how life is in different places. There’s so much more out there outside of the United States.