Jurado knocks in game-winner in double overtime

Senior forward Megan Jurado scored the game-winning goal in the 104th minute. -Peter Kluch, Assistant Photo Editor

The San Diego State women’s soccer team began their 2012 season last Friday night in dramatic fashion. In a game six minutes shy of ending in a double- overtime draw, senior midfielder Megan Jurado’s late-game heroics against the Southern Methodist University Mustangs proved to be the difference that gave the Aztecs their first win of the new season.“It’s my last season, so my last first home game, so it was really nice,” Jurado said of the season- opening win.

Both teams came out strong defensively in the first half, with the Aztecs leading the shot category 3- 1. SDSU’s best scoring opportunity came in the 39th minute when sophomore midfielder Mariah Helmer hit the left post of the goal on a one-on-one matchup with SMU goalkeeper Lauren Bodden.

SMU’s only shot attempt came after the halftime whistle blew when the referee awarded the Mustangs a free kick with no time remaining.SDSU redshirt, sophomore goalkeeper Rachel Boaz was able to smother the shot with ease to end the half.

Momentum continued to build in the second half as a relentless Aztec defense forced SMU to make several errors that resulted in loss of possessions and possible scoring chances.

Some skilled footwork by senior forward Sarah Halverson in the 82nd minute led to a shot just wide of the mark.

Three minutes later, sophomore Haley Locker used her speed and finesse to break away from the defense as she put a shoton goal that would have sealed an Aztec victory, but the shot went wide left.

Extra time played out much like regulation with both teams flexing their defensive muscles. The Aztecs recorded the only shot of the first overtime period.

In the second overtime period, Jurado ended the game in the 104th minute with a golden goal off assists from Halverson and junior midfielder Carli Johnson.

“My teammate, Sarah Halverson, slid on the ground and tapped it to me across the goal and I just tried to place it,” Jurado said. “I told myself ‘I need to make this.’”

The Aztecs outshot the Mustangs 10-2 and 3-2 on goal for the game.

“Great win, great way to start out the season,” head coach Mike Friesen said. “We had a couple of tough breaks with shots off the post and whatnot, but we were