West Coast Sandwich Company makes awaited debut

Students can expect the lines at West Coast Sandwich Company to be a lot longer during lunch hour this year. Antonio Zaragoza, Editor in Chief

The Sub Connection location at East Commons finally surrendered to the competition and closed this summer. The doomed sub shop simply lacked the resources to compete against franchise sub-sandwich giants and succumbed to its reputation as a “wannabe Subway.”

The restaurant failed to gain popularity from San Diego State students, so Dining Services decided to endorse a entirely new concept. In several SDSU surveys, students indicated a desire for more high-end and healthy spots to eat on campus, similar to Panera Bread. Their opinions were taken into consideration and the new eatery, known as West Coast Sandwich Company or simply “West Coast,” debuted on campus this summer.

The menu selection features 10 specialty sandwiches, three premium salads and two homemade desserts to serve the hungry population of SDSU.

Clearly, the real stars of West Coast are the toasted specialty sandwiches.

The new shop prepares all artisan breads in house daily for optimalfreshness and quality. The vast selection of premium meats, toppings and bread types distinguish West Coast from other food places on campus. Options such as the Buffalo Mozzarella, Californian or Meatball sandwich are sure to attract more patrons than lackluster sub-sandwiches. The delicious Tri-Tip Steak Nirvana is reminiscent of a philly cheesesteak, loaded with thin steak strips, barbeque sauce and onions.

Associate Director of SDSU Dining Services Robert Isner highly recommends the non-traditional West Coast Rubin made with turkey, a light crispy citrus slaw and swiss cheese on rye bread. However, the Southwest Chicken Sandwich, a grilled panini on focaccia bread, holds the title of best seller so far. All 10 toasted or panini sandwiches cost $7 and include a side option. Extra add-ons cost a bit more. Students can choose between chips or a small portion of pasta or potato salad.

Choose healthier options from West Coast instead of loading up at the Cuicacalli Dining Room to help combat the “freshmen fifteen.” Customers can order and modify decently sized Caesar, chipotle or Asian salads. Customization is ideal because customers can determine details like lettuce type, dressing amount and vegetable toppings. Additionally, the complimentary slice of warm focaccia bread adds even more appeal to the salads.

West Coast offers two different decadent desserts, both made on campus at the SDSU Bakeshop. For just $2, customers can indulge themselves with an oversized red velvet, carrot cake, strawberry or double chocolate cupcake. Also, a single gourmet cheesecake slice topped with fresh fruit for $3 proves to be another scrumptious treat to satisfy a sweet tooth.

Apart from standard fountain beverages, thirsty students can escape the heat and sip on specialty drinks such as fresh-squeezed lemonade and home-brewed iced tea between classes. The $1 size is pretty tiny; however, an upgrade to the next size up is only $1 more. Even the water is served chilled from a pitcher and boasts a subtle flavor of fresh lemons.

Jeanne DeSantis, General Manager of Quick Service Restaurants, and Sweet, says students can expect more seasonal menu changes and weekly deals throughout the year. Plans for a soup and sandwich combo remain in the works for when cooler weather rolls around. While there are cheaper places to eat on campus, customers who are willing to shell out a couple extra dollars will be rewarded with delicious and high-quality ingredients. A full meal, including a sandwich, side serving and a small drink, is just $8. The pricing is especially tailored to accommodate students with meal plans.