Long unsure about Huskies’ D

Last season, the University of Washington lost to Baylor University 67-56 in an exciting, offense-filled Alamo Bowl. The Huskies allowed 777 yards of total offense and 43 second half points to the Bears.

To make matters worse, the Huskies set school records last year for points allowed (467), pass completions (305), passing yards (3,700), average total offense per game (453.3), first downs (297), passing first downs (167), total yards (5,893) and total touchdowns (58).

As a result, Washington fired defensive coordinator Nick Holt and hired Justin Wilcox, former Tennessee and Boise State defensive coordinator.

Yet, what Wilcox’s defense will look like on the Sept. 1 opener in Seattle is what the Aztecs are worried about.

“What we have seen online, none of it’s even close to what he did at Tennessee,” SDSU head football coach Rocky Long said during last Tuesday’s press conference. “So we are going in a tunnel and it’s really dark, because we have no idea what they are going to do on defense, none whatsoever.”

In 2009, his final season at Boise State, Wilcox led the Broncos to a No. 14 ranking in total defense and scoring defense. The Broncos would finish the season undefeated after winning the Fiesta Bowl.

Wilcox spent the last two seasons as the defensive coordinator of the Tennessee Volunteers.

Long unsure about Huskies’ D