Kicking it with soccer player Kelsey Booth

Peter Kluch, Assistant Photo Editor

The San Diego State women’s soccer team has begun its season with a perfect 4-0 record for the first time since 1996. Sports editor Ryan Schuler caught up with sophomore forward Kelsey Booth to discuss her first collegiate goal, what she likes to do in her spare time and her Player of the Week accolades.

Daily Aztec: How does it feel to be named Mountain West Player of the Week by CollegeSportsMadness.com?

Kelsey Booth: It definitely feels nice. It’s an accomplishment not only for me, but also for the team. It looks really good for me as a player, but also for (Rachel) Boaz (who was named the Mountain West Women’s Soccer Defensive Player of the Week), but it really is for the team as a whole.

DA: How did it feel to score your first collegiate goal against Arizona State University?

KB: It felt really nice. I was really excited about that because I scored last season, but it was against an NAIA team, so that didn’t count. When I came off the field, I was like“that was my first goal.”

DA: So how excited are you to play under the lights while they will actually work?

KB: (Laughing) When they finally work, it’s going to be a lot nicer than playing during the 5 o’ clock heat because it will be cooler and we will have more energy. It will pump us up more because it’s going to be the first game under the lights. It’s going to definitely change the game.

DA: What sport would you play if you didn’t play soccer? KB: I’ve always wanted to play volleyball. I mean I know I’m short—I guess not that short— but I just love playing beach volleyball and messing around just hitting it. I was going to try out in high school, but never ended up doing it because of soccer.

DA: Why did you decide to attend and play for San Diego State?

KB: Ever since I came down here with my club team for Surf Cup, I’ve fallen in love with San Diego. So I knew since I was little, I wanted to go to a San Diego school. SDSU was interested in me, so I came for a visit and loved it.

DA: What do you enjoy doingin your spare time?

KB: Usually relax because I’m so tired from practice, but I love to scrapbook. I know it’s random, but I love scrapbooking. For Christmas, I always make my relatives a scrapbook. I also love to paint.

DA: Why did you decide to play soccer instead of another sport?

KB: When I was little, I was a gymnast. My parents put me into soccer and ever since I was little, I was good at it and I just loved it, so I gave up gymnastics to play it.

DA: What is your favorite band?

KB: I love country music. My favorite band for country music is—they are kind of old—but the Dixie Chicks. I’ve started to really like the Shins and Phantogram. Their new stuff I’ve just started to like.

DA: What is your major and why did you pick it?

KB: I’m undeclared. It’s been really hard deciding what I want to do. I was thinking the nutrition route or kinesiology. I was also thinking about maybe just health communications. I’m just doing my GEs now then decide hopefully by the end of this year. Hopefully, some of my GEs will help me decide.

DA: What is one thing on your bucket list?

KB: Well, recently in Del Mar I saw the hot air balloons go by. Ireallywanttogoinahotair balloon sometime while I am down here. That’s definitely on my bucket list.

DA: What would your last meal on earth be?

KB: It would definitely be dessert. Honestly, I would be happy with cheesecake because I love cheesecake or a “Pizookie” or just a ton of ice cream. I have a sweet tooth.