Go-kart drivers get breathalyzed

Stephanie Schauer, Staff Writer

Last Saturday night, students enjoyed free Las Vegas-style en- tertainment in G Lot behind Cuicacalli suites at Monte Carlo, the sixth Aztec Nights event of the semester. Entertainment included a hypnotist show, “mock” gambling, mocktails and music provided by a disc jockey; however, the main attraction of the evening was the go-kart race.

Students lined up before the event was scheduled, eager to take a spin around the track. Before they could sit in the driver’s seat, drivers had to first pass the breathalyzer test given by Peer Health Educators.

A portable digital breathalyzer system determined blood alco- hol concentration levels. To keep the process sanitary, disposable breathing tubes were utilized. Each person exhaled into the tube for five to seven seconds to determine if he or she had con- sumed alcohol prior to standing in line.

San Diego State junior Sarah Braudaway supported the precaution for safety reasons.

“I’m a driver, so I don’t want to be out there driving on the roads and run into that one drunk guy who’s gonna crash into me and all my friends,” she said.

Economics freshman Trevor Christiansen agreed.

“When you’re operating a ve- hicle, you shouldn’t be under the influence,” Christiansen said. “That’s just basically for the safety of other people more and yourself.”

Giving drivers breathalyzer tests prior to getting in a go-kart was not to notify police of violators, but to bring awareness to a broader issue.

“This isn’t punitive, so basi- cally we [gave] them the implications of drinking and driving and what that would be for them,” SDSU PHE Beth Preciado said.

If students’ BAC levels were at 0.01 percent or more, they had to wait an hour for each point before they could drive.

SDSU police officers were on stand by for the duration of the event, which lasted from 9 p.m. until 1 a.m.

Aztec Nights events have become an SDSU tradition since 2008 to provide an alternative safe weekend for students in lieu of off-campus festivities.

Go-kart drivers get breathalyzed