Jurado’s golden goal keeps the Aztecs undefeated

Katie Foster, Staff Photographer

MINNEAPOLIS – No. 20 San Diego State women’s soccer team overcame 53-degree weather and more than a thousand screaming Minnesota fans to keep their perfect season alive.

Senior midfielder Megan Jurado was the hero once again Friday night as she scored her second game-winning goal of the season, giving the Aztecs a 1-0 victory against the Golden Gophers. With the win, the Aztecs improve to 6-0, the best start for a season in program history.

Jurado, the savior for the Aztecs in their home opener against Southern Methodist University, made another huge play with an overtime goal in the first minute of extra time. Sophomore forward Haley Locker’s powerful strike on goal created the critical rebound opportunity for Jurado to secure the Aztecs’ victory. Sophomore forward Hannah Keane was also credited for the assist.

“As the game went on, we started to take control of thegame a little bit,” SDSU head coach Mike Friesen said. “Jurado was just at the right place at the right time. I think the opening game, where she got the game- winner in overtime, gave her some confidence. As the game wears on, she just gets more and more confident. She’s put the work in

and it’s paid off for her.”

This victory was arguably the

toughest of the year, as the Aztecs were outshot for the first time this season, 18-12. In a season where SDSU has only given up 21 shots on goal, the Gophers proved a worthy adversary, putting up 11 shots and five shots on goal in the

first half. Despite Minnesota’s dominance early in the game, the Aztec offense picked it up in the second half and were able to outshoot the Gophers 8-7.

Senior defender Rachael McGlinchy, redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Rachel Boaz, junior midfielder Carli Johnson and junior defender Haley Palmer battled hard for the win, each playing the entire 90:58 in another tough match. Throughsix games this season, Boaz has yet to allow a goal.

“Honestly, I think it has been a complete team effort,” Friesen said. “Obviously, we have a really good backline and a great goalkeeper, but it’s front to back for us. There’s always another player that helps, so if one person gets beat, the next person is right there.”

In the 30th minute, Minnesota sophomore midfielder Brianne Price had a golden opportunity and fired a shot into the right corner of the net, only to be denied by Boaz.

Another opportunity for the Golden Gophers came in the 50th minute when senior forward Allie Phillips scooted a shot past Boaz, which was kicked away by Johnson inches before the goal line.

Boaz finished the game with a season-high six saves.