Company restores eyesight

Wearing a pair of sunglasses can help change the way a person sees the world, and make them look good doing it.

Launched in Ocotber 2011, SOLO Eyewear is committed to providing corrective eye surgery and eyeglasses to those who cannot afford them. Since 2011, SOLO has restored vision for 2,400 people, reaching 12 countries around the world.

SOLO Chief Executive Officer Jenny Amaraneni has firsthand experience with poor vision. She was inspired to give back after learning nearly 80 percent of the world suffers from blindness. Half of those also suffer from cataracts, although that’s is preventable. However, close to one billion people do not have access to proper eye care. After teaming up with Chief Marketing Officer Craig Stern and Chief Creative Officer Dana Holliday, a movement was born.

The executive officers of SOLO are SDSU alumni and Amaraneni said the idea originated while she was enrolled in an M.B.A International Entrepreneur course with Assistant Professor Musteen Martina at SDSU.

“The idea behind SOLO is that one idea, one person, one action can change the world,” Stern said. “We want to be something that really influences people to challenge themselves, follow their heart and give and do more.”

Dedicated to creating a quality product and helping those in need, SOLO spent eight months deliberating designs and materials to ensure its glasses met their high standards.

“The frames are the same material as Ray-Ban; the lenses, same material as Maui Jim and other top brands,” Stern said. “We have the best quality in there.”

SOLO’s corrective eye surgeries take place in India, which is said to be the best country in the field. Cataracts can be permanently reversed with a 10 to 15 minute surgery that costs between $15 and $45.

“It’s kind of empowering to know you can do something that huge with so little money,” Stern said.

Company restores eyesight