New CSU Chancellor has promising future

Courtesy UCR

The California State University Board of Trustees has officially appointed a new chancellor.

Timothy P. White will begin his new position as the seventh chancellor to lead the 23 CSU campuses at the end of December.

“As Chancellor, I look forward to engaging with faculty, students, staff, campus presidents and CSU trustees, along with the communities we serve, as we advance this vital system of higher education for California’s future,” White said in a press release.

White immigrated from Buenos Aires, Argentina to Northern California and began his education at Diablo Valley Community College. The first-generation college student then earned a bachelor’s degree from Fresno State, a master’s degree from Cal State East Bay, and a Ph.D. from University of California, Berkeley.

“He has a real insider perspective,” CSU Media Specialist Erik Fallis said. “White is a strong leader, not just for our system but all of statewide higher education.”

White has been the chancellor of UC Riverside for the past four years. After his arrival at UC Riverside, he formed a committee of students, staff, faculty and community members to develop a 10-year strategic plan to further develop the university.

He also served as a dean, provost, executive vice president and interim president at Oregon State University. He held previous positions as professor and chair of the Department of Human Biodynamics at UC, Berkeley. White’s work in muscle plasticity, injury and aging is internationally recognized.

The search for the new chancellor was mostly closed to the public. California Faculty Association President Lillian Taiz said she wishes the CSU Trustees selection would have been more transparent, but the faculty is eager to work with the new chancellor to rebuild the CSU system.

Executive Director of the California State Student Association Miles Nevin said he felt like opinions from faculty and students were heard. According to Fallis, CSSA President and Cal State San Bernardino student David Allison attended and participated in the interview process.

“It’s a very difficult process to balance confidentiality and transparency,” Nevin said. “I think the Board of Trustees did a good job.”

Current CSU Chancellor Charles B. Reed announced his retirement in May after serving the CSU system for 14 years.

White will earn an annual salary of $421,500, which is the same pay Reed received.

New CSU Chancellor has promising future